Sigma Merrill Support

Discussions about MetaRaw
HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Sigma Merrill Support

Post by HaraldHeim »

After releasing MetaRaw I noticed that the MetaRaw Converter produces bad colors for Sigma X3f raw files. I am not sure if it can be improved as there is too little information about X3F files available.

Unfortunately Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe DNG Converter only support older Sigma cameras and produces overexposed and oversaturated results with default settings. A future update of MetaRaw will make make sure that Camera Raw uses more sensible default setting for X3F raw files.

Otherwise it seems that only Sigma Photo Pro (any probably Silky Pix) are able to convert newer X3f files. It is planned to support Sigma Photo Pro in MetaRaw. This means that MetaRaw will run Sigma Photo Pro hidden in the background, so that the Camera Raw workflow is not disrupted.

faaeri
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Re: Sigma Merrill Support

Post by faaeri »

I tried opening a raw file from Sigma DP2 Merrill.
I after the MetaRaw dialog box, where I chose "MetaRaw Converter" I got the error message "Could not complete your request because the file could not be found".

I use Photoshop CS6 64 bit and ACR 8.1 on Win7

What do I (or you) do wrong?

The idea of using Sigma Photo Pro in the background sounds terrific.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds like MetaRaw Converter was not able to convert the file. I managed to make it work with DP2 Merrill raw files here, so I am not quite sure what may have caused the problem for you. Did you see "Converting ..." in the MetaRaw progress window or did you get the error message instantly?

At the moment I would only recommend using MetaRaw Converter for opening X3F files if you want to convert the images to black and white anyway, because the colors that you get are not correct.

faaeri
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by faaeri »

Ok. I'll use Sigma Photo Pro for now, but I am very interested in hearing about it if you can make it work with Photo Pro in the background. That would revolutionize workflow.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I already started with making MetaRaw run Sigma Photo Pro for converting files in the background. The main functionality works more or less, but various mechanisms still have to be added to avoid that MetRaw freezes if Sigma Photo Pro makes some trouble. Also a lot of testing has to be done to make sure that it works fine on different OS versions.