Auto-Blend layers won't start

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
mykela
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Auto-Blend layers won't start

Post by mykela »

I'm using the demo version of ElementsXXL along with PSE13. When I try to blend two images (two selected layers in one document) I get a dialog that says 'The command "Auto-Blend Layers" is not currently available.'

I am using 64 bit Windows 10 and I have about 11 GB of memory available. I think I am doing it correctly because the Auto-Align Layers function runs without errors and the menu item enables/disables as I select/deselect multiple layers. Even trying to align just two images fails.

I'd really like this to work since it is the main reason I'm considering this purchase.

Thanks.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Auto-Blend layers won't start

Post by HaraldHeim »

I tried it with two selected layers here in PSE 13 and it works without a problem. Can you please send me a PSD file with the two layers that you are using? Maybe I can reproduce the problem with it.

mykela
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by mykela »

Well, I have a file for you but this forum won't let me attach it. Everything I've tried is too big. (The smallest I tried was a zip file that's 385K. If you have another place to drop it, I can.)

Otherwise, some new information if it helps. If I install LayersXXL and open the files as layers, then it works well. When I disable LayersXXL, it fails again. Same error. If I reactivate LayersXXL, and load the psd I just made for you, it will also fail.

But, I can open the same files as layers and it works again and if I make a psd, deactivate LayersXXL and try to blend that, it works.

So, maybe something wrong with how I'm making my layers?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I also sent you an email yesterday. Please attach the 385K file to an email and send it to me.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You probably also have ElementsXXL installed. So by disabling LayersXXL you make the identical Auto-Align and Auto-Blend features of ElementsXXL active. But as the code of both features is identical in ElementsXXL and LayersXXL I am surprised that it should work with one or the other.

mykela
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by mykela »

One other point. I think I spoke too soon on the auto-align working. It doesn't error, but it also doesn't appear to align anything with just ElementsXXL loaded. It presents the dialog, you click OK and the dialog dismisses. Nothing else happens.

When I do the same after loading LayerXXL and opening the images as layers with that, the Auto-Align behaves the same except with LayersXXL loaded, I will get a busy cursor and one of the images appears to shift slightly.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for sending the PSD file. I see the problem. One of the layers is a smart object. The Auto-Align and Auto-Blend features only work with pixel layers. So please select the smart object layer and choose Layer > Simplify Layer to turn it into a normal layer.

mykela
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by mykela »

Perfect. That was it. Thanks very much!