elementsxxl & lightroom

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
astronut80920
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

elementsxxl & lightroom

Post by astronut80920 »

If I send a photo to elements 12 from Lightroom and then render a 16 bit file to 8 bit, make changes, re-render to 16 bit, it looks like Lightroom does not recognize it, at least I can't find it in the LR library. I think it's because the filename is changed and Lightoom does not like that. Does that mean I can't use the 16 bit render functions out of Lightroom or am I missing something? I can always send a photo from Lightroom to Elements in 8 bit mode since usually I do all the heavy editing in Lightroom anyways and don't need to use 16 bit edits in Elements.

Just curious as to what the correct procedure is here.

Thanks,

Jim L

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: elementsxxl & lightroom

Post by HaraldHeim »

When you use "Render 16-bit document" a new document is created. So to pass this new document back to Lightroom, you have to save it with the name of the original document at the location of the original document. This is only possible in Photoshop Elements if you close the original document, save the original document with a new name or save the original document to a different location.

So best do File > Save As on the original document, copy the file name to the clipboard and memorize the path where the file is saved. (Or copy the path to the clipboard and memorize the file name.) Then cancel the file dialog and close the original document. Finally save the rendered document in the same folder with the same file name.

I will try to find a user-friendly solution for this. Either by adding a "Render & Save" command or by automatically changing the file names and paths of the original and new document, so that you only have to save it to pass it back to Lightroom.

astronut80920
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Re: elementsxxl & lightroom

Post by astronut80920 »

Thanks for the answer. I'll try this and wait for an update. Like I said in my original post, It might be easier to pass a file from Lightroom in 8-bit mode since I did all the heavy editing in raw in Lightroom and shouldn't experience any degredation in image quality.

BTW, I love these two plugins (ElementsXXL & LayersXXl).

Jim L