New User Questions

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
johnpd
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

New User Questions

Post by johnpd »

I just purchased Elements XXL 2.03 and installed it in my PS Elements 11. I have some questions.

1. There are some menus and buttons that are in German.
a. The "Render" menu
b. "File" > "HTML speichern.."
c. "Preferences" for Elements XXL
d. Some icons at the top right of the Layer panel.
Is there something I can do to fix this or does it require an update?

2. I played a little with the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" tools. They did not seem to sharpen images very much if at all compared to the standard sharpening tools. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Thanks,

JohnD

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: New User Questions

Post by HaraldHeim »

The German menu items may be caused by the installation of a German plugin in the past. Please have a look at the Photoshop Elements folder. If you find a sub folder called "Zusatzmodule" there, please move its content into the Plug-Ins sub folder and then delete it.

If that does not help, please go to Edit > Preferences > ElementsXXL and activate the Force English Localization check box.

Zoom to 100% before applying the Sharpen filters. Then they will not look so weak anymore. You can also apply them twice or three times if you think they are too weak.

johnpd
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by johnpd »

Hi Harald,

I did not install any plug-ins in Photoshop Elements. I checked its folders and found no German sub-folders. I also tried the Preferences change. Since the Elements XXL Preferences are also in German, it was a little difficult to determine which box to check. But I believe it was the last box ("Englische Lokalisation erzwingen"). I did that and it gave me a message again in German to I believe restart PSE. I did that and it still made no difference.

JohnD

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If there is a \Locales\de_DE\ sub folder in the Photoshop Elements folder, please delete the "de_DE" folder (or move it somewhere outside the Photoshop Elements folder).

johnpd
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by johnpd »

Thanks Harald. That did it.

JohnD

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

So you seem to have accidentally installed the German version before you reinstalled the English one.

johnpd
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by johnpd »

I only installed Elements XXL once. The installation defaulted to the English version. PSE was preinstalled on my computer when I got it. There are a number of various language specific subfolders in it.

JohnD

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Ok, I see. Normally when you install Photoshop Elements, you have to choose a language and then only these language files are installed. The OEM installations probably have all languages preinstalled. I guess I have to update the language detection to take that into account. Sorry for the inconvenience.