B/W Styler 1.0/1.0b

B/W Styler specific discussions
jrdyerlw
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

B/W Styler 1.0/1.0b

Post by jrdyerlw »

So far I've been pleased with B/W Styler and all it can do.

Would like to know if there are any plans to add ISO 50 to the list, specifically for the infrared function (Kodak HIE = ISO 50).

I know how I can do it otherwise, but just wondered if it will be added in future versions.

Larry

P. S. -- up until now, thought PSP X and XI were the only programs that gave true black and white conversion. Others, had to finetune more.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You mean you want a simulation of the Kodak HIE 50 ISO film? I don't think I will add any IR film presets.

IR films can't be simulated like B/W Styler does with normal films. The problem is that B/W Styler has to make up some data in order to make an image look like it was taken with a IR film. So you can't expect a precise simulation of an IR film if it is already quite difficult to make a non-IR image look like some kind of IR image.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Larry, check under Infrared in this chart for some plug-in/action options. What is the alternate method you mentioned you can use?
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

jrdyerlw
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by jrdyerlw »

Perhaps I should have posed this as a wishlist for future versions of B/W Styler.

1) It would be nice to have ISO 50 for Infrared, but could be used with other film types.
2) Another wish would be for an digital albumen effect in the tinting. ( PSP XI now has it, but have been looking for that effect for the past two years ---- and still looking for a digital SX-70 manipulation technique.)

Several years ago when I was shooting Kodak HSI I was able to get like a "black and white infrared watercolor" effect on one of my images. Really loved the effect, not so crazy about the image. Until B/W Styler came along, have never been to reproduce that effect film or digital. Thanks to Styler, I was successfully able to do so.

Thanks for creating B/W Styler!

Larry

---------------------------
Note to plugsnpixels: I was thinking that virtualPhotographer had ISO 50, but looking at their website it is ISO/ASA 25. Will have to look at the other programs.

------------
Per Kodak website on the Infrared (HSI not HIE): "Normal ISO speed values do not apply. Make trial exposures under typical conditions. With a KODAK WRATTEN Filter No. 25, try a setting of EI 50 (daylight) or EI 125 (tungsten) and bracketed ± 2 stops ", but when I was using it, it was always set for 50. Judging from that statement, then B/W Styler should be fine. May try the customization feature on the ISO to see what happens.

jrdyerlw
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by jrdyerlw »

One possibility, I have considered:

1) Set B/W Styler ISO to none;
2) Scan a blank HSI negative (if I can find them);
3) Layer it on top of the resulting image.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If send me one or more scanned photos that were done with the HIE film, I see if I can reproduce it somehow. I will have a look at the mentioned albumen effect. Maybe I can add it in a future update.

The ISO 100 - 3200 presets in B/W Styler refer to the film grain. Because ISO 50 film have very small and almost invisible grain, I didn't add a ISO 50 preset.

Ando
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Ando »

>I will have a look at the mentioned albumen effect. Maybe I can add it in a future update.

Harald please keep BWS the *straightforward tool for BW conversion* related to the classical darkroom it is. For very special effects there's a mass of effect filters available in the web. Thx

jrdyerlw
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by jrdyerlw »

Did a google search, again, and found the following tutorial on creating an albumen curve in Photoshop:
http://www.biorust.com/tutorials/detail/249/en/

Now I can use B/W Styler, then use the curve to apply an albumen tint to the appropriate image.

Will be glad to send you some of my infra-reds as soon as I can locate them.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I think it is possible to create such an albumen effect with the Enhanced method from the Colorize tab sheet in Expert mode. I try to create an albumen preset and add it to the next update.