BW Styler in PSP v. X

B/W Styler specific discussions
digitalcanuck
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

BW Styler in PSP v. X

Post by digitalcanuck »

Can you confirm that BW Styler only runs on an 8 bit RGB image in PSP v. X please.

I've tried with 16 bit RGB, but no luck (.tiff format) but it works with 8 bit (tiff format).

Looks promising, but I want to use it in 16 bit mode.

Thanks,
Rick

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sorry, but PSP X doesn't support running plugins on 16bit images. It doesn't have anything to do with B/W Styler. Corel added this unnecessary limitation to PSP X.

I haven't tested PSP XI yet, but I hope that it now lets you run plugins on 16bit images. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Otherwise I can only recommed that you get Photoshop Elements or Photoshop.

digitalcanuck
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Thanks for the response.

Post by digitalcanuck »

I downloaded the demo of Elements 4, it works with 16 bit images in version 4, but I was reading today a comparison of ver. 5 vs Photoshop, and v. 5 will not edit 16 bit images. So for some, sticking with v. 4 may be valuable.

I've not tried PSP XI with B/W Styler. Thinking about biting the bullet and getting the full blown Photoshop CS2. Like what I see of your product, too bad it couldn't work with a time period vs the watermark - makes it harder to assess as the watermarks are so numerous.

Thanks again,

Rick

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

From the description of Elements 5 it says "Get truer, higher quality results with support for 16-bit color." Can you please send me the URL of that comparison?

The next version of Photoshop will become available next year, so if you can still wait a few months, you can save the upgrade fee.

I will rework the watermark protection in the near future, but I don't like time-limited trial versions. They more or less force you to buy the software after one month and give you no chance to evaluate the software again later.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I just took delivery of PSP XI and it does indeed support 16 bit.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I know that PSP X and XI support 16bit images, but does PSP XI allow you to apply Photoshop plugins to 16bit images? PSP X doesn't.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Ah, I see what you're asking. I will spend more time with it soon and see.

In the short time I did play with it, I did have to downgrade a 16-bit image to apply PSP's native filters to it. So maybe that's an indication.
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I know that some internal PSP filters can only be applied to 8bit images, but others can be used on 16bit images. It is just a question of updating these filters for 16bit. It should be possible with 99% of them, so I guess Corel wants to keep that for the next upgrade.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

OK, I've been enjoying using the new PSP in Windows on my MacBook! I converted an image to 16-bit, and tried to apply B/W Styler. It was grayed out, as was another developer's plug-in which I have installed as well. So I guess that gives us our answer.
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It is really a pitty that Corel doesn't seem to care about 16bit support for plugins... Makes PSP much less useful than it could be.

digitalcanuck
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

I stand corrected

Post by digitalcanuck »

Well I have to stand corrected. Here's the link:
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/ps_pse ... ab:depth=1
It does say that Elements 5 will handle 16 bit, but I could have sworn that there was no check mark on the Elements 5 column. Sorry to have misled anyone.

I see your point with the time-out feature, you do have to play with a product intensively to form an educated opinion or you loose the time.

thanks for responding.

Rick

ps: I had reinstalled my v.9 PSP and it worked fine also.

HaraldHeim wrote:From the description of Elements 5 it says "Get truer, higher quality results with support for 16-bit color." Can you please send me the URL of that comparison?

The next version of Photoshop will become available next year, so if you can still wait a few months, you can save the upgrade fee.

I will rework the watermark protection in the near future, but I don't like time-limited trial versions. They more or less force you to buy the software after one month and give you no chance to evaluate the software again later.