B/W Styler feedback

B/W Styler specific discussions
theresamarie11
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

B/W Styler feedback

Post by theresamarie11 »

Hi Harald,
I look forward to seeing how your new plug in works. I've purchased your other plug ins and thought them all great values.
My feedback here is that the BW Styler should do something really special for a price of $50.00. I have many other BW filters, some purchased and some free, and have not found much difference between them all (i.e. nothing special that I couldn't do very quickly without). So while I didn't spend a fortune for them, I would have been unhappy if I did.

Will your new filter do IR? This is the one item that I have never found any filter good at. Many claim to simulate IR, but I've never found one that actually makes pictures that look like those taken with IR film/filter.
Best Regards,
Terri

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your feedback. B/W Styler will work on 48bit images just like the other PhotoWiz plugins.

Yes, B/W Styler will do IR, but producing an IR from non-IR images always means only trying to imitate the look. It works fine with some photos and not very well with others. B/W Styler will offer more options than other IR filters, so I'm confident that it will be helpful for several images.

theresamarie11
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

re: B/W Styler

Post by theresamarie11 »

HaraldHeim wrote:Thanks for your feedback. B/W Styler will work on 48bit images just like the other PhotoWiz plugins.

Yes, B/W Styler will do IR, but producing an IR from non-IR images always means only trying to imitate the look. It works fine with some photos and not very well with others. B/W Styler will offer more options than other IR filters, so I'm confident that it will be helpful for several images.
Harald, thanks for your always quick reply!
I will most definately purchase your plug-in when it comes out as I like to support sites that have provided me with significant support and education over the years. You haven't dissapointed me yet, so I hope it's as good as you say! I'm heading to Utah for 2 weeks of hiking and photography starting on Saturday so maybe this will be available to work on some of my new images. :D

www.pbase.com/theresamarie1
Best Regards,
Terri

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Have a nice time in Utah!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your message. Convert to B/W Pro 2.0 is nice, but there are a few things that I don't like about it.

I don't think that you can tell me anything new about color to B/W conversion, but it would be nice to hear your ideas. You can contact me at
http://thepluginsite.com/about/contact.htm

Sammo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Sammo »

Hello Harald,

What news of B/W Styler? Anticipated release date?

Thanks,
-- Sam

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Planned release date is end of August. I think it will work out.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, B/W Styler lets you keep image areas of a certain color colored while making the rest of the image B/W. And of course you don't need Photoshop to use B/W Styler. You can use it with several free graphics applications.

In your case if the bouquet and boot/flower consist of different colors, you can't keep their color with just one step. For two colors you would need to have the same image on two layers and apply B/W Styler to both layers, each time choosing another color in B/W Styler. Then you would have to use Saturation blend mode to combine both layer.

B/W Styler will be released in September. A future update of B/W Styler will let you select more than one color at a time and simplify such tasks.

Nevertheless, if the bouquet and boot/flower have diffuse colors, B/W Styler would be no help for you. Then you have to mask out these items manually by hand, e.g. with the lasso tool.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

B/W Styler is almost finished. Only a few needs to be fixed and the manual needs to be proof read. At latest it will be released on September 30, but I think it will be a few days earlier.

Ando
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Ando »

HaraldHeim wrote:B/W Styler is almost finished. Only a few needs to be fixed and the manual needs to be proof read. At latest it will be released on September 30, but I think it will be a few days earlier.
Great job you did again Harald, congratulations! Just purchased B/W Styler I face a lot of really interesting and challenging possibilities to convert pictures into b/w. The interface is clear and can be operated intuitive. Perfect for the perfectionist!

After browsing through the app and trying out the major features I already have to constate that B/W Styler to me currently is the leading tool to do the job.

Andreas
Last edited by Ando on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks a lot for your complements!

You probably won't believe me that I had even more in mind for the product. But I had to cut it down otherwise the release would have been delayed by another one or two years :-). 20 months of development (with several long breaks) were enough.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Right. I thought I had already fixed it, but I didn't. Will do soon. The name in the menu will then be "BW Styler" and not "B/W Styler".

Thanks for reminding me.

Herman
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Thank you Harald!

Post by Herman »

Just a quick 'thank you' for Harald.
I just registered BW styler (already am a very satisfied user of focal blade, light machine and color washer ;)). It is a great plug-in, very easy to use, intuitive as are the other plug-ins. It feels great to be able to use my favorite Ilford FP4 again in my 20D :P
It was definitely worth the waiting for this program!