Fireworks MX and plugin Galaxy dont seem to mix ?

Comments and discussions about Plugin Galaxy
4thstar
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Fireworks MX and plugin Galaxy dont seem to mix ?

Post by 4thstar »

Hello all .
I seem to have a problem at the moment , i can select effects and change settings , but when i click ok to apply the mouse icon changes for a second as if its applying something like most effects do , but the original picture/image remains unchanged , if i exit then Fireworks asks if i want to save because image has changed , but theres no visual difference , the effect has not been added , i have tried several formats for my images and several different effects but none of them work .

Can anyone suggest what i am doing here ? it does seem like a flaw in the plugin but it may be something i am doing .

on the main site it says :
Macromedia Fireworks (Version 2 or higher, but only within selections)

can someone explain what this is please , maybe this is what i am doing wrong.

Kind Regards
Carl

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Fireworks isn't fully compatible with some Photoshop plugins. It doesn't support certain features of the Photoshop SDK.

In the case of Plugin Galaxy you have to create a selection (e.g. of the whole image) before applying Plugin Galaxy. To do that in Fireworks MX choose "Select All" from the Select menu. Then apply one of the Plugin Galaxy filters. After pressing OK, the effect will be applied to the image.

4thstar
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

nope still dont work

Post by 4thstar »

i loaded up my image , selected all.
it said this will convert all from vector to bitmap
i said yes
chose the star effect, the stars are visible in the preview window
clicked ok
something happens
nothing visible changes ?

any suggestions
Regards
Carl

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I noticed that for images that are not 24bit the Select All command doesn't work in Firework. Seems to be a bug in Fireworks, because after you created a selection with the selection tool, the Select All command works.

4thstar
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

nope , still stumped here

Post by 4thstar »

i have tried several image types and selecting several different ways , it seems i just dont get the final results ? i get the timer image to say that something is being aplied but nothing visual.

do you have fireworks MX
do you have an image you can give me that works with the plogins ?

If i have an image from a digital camera with no other layers and use select icon and click on image so that a blue border apears around the image then select plugin effect should this not work ?

Kind Regards
Carl

4thstar
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

OK SORTED , i think ....

Post by 4thstar »

Right if anyone uses fireworks heres how i got things rolling :)

ok so vector stuff cant work , but flatened images are cool with the plugins ,

load up the image you want to change .
use the marquee tool to select the area you want the effects to be in
apply the plugins
all works well this way :)

Kind Regards
Carl

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, I have Fireworks MX and I tested it before I wrote you.

There has to be a B/W marque (that represent a selection) around the image and not just the blue one. You can try the Marque tool which is selected by pressing the M key. Then draw a rectangular selection around the image. Then you can apply Plugin Galaxy.

I also just noticed that you have to click on the current layer bar in the Layer palette to be able to create a selection. The pen icon in the Layer palette has to be visible on the bitmap that the effect will be applied to. Otherwise you can create a selection on that layer.

Fireworks works a bit strange in my opinion...

TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by TARL_FURY »

Fireworks works a bit strange in my opinion...
I definitely agree. Fireworks became my very first graphics application, after one of my online friends recommended it to me. After my initial excitement, (mostly for the effects it came with) I found that I had outgrown its capabilities...in all of about 3 months, at that.

No offense to anybody that likes or even loves Fireworks, but I much prefer even freeware apps like The GIMP.
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."