Only Default Preset Stays Applied!!!

Comments and discussions about Plugin Galaxy
drakedane2

Only Default Preset Stays Applied!!!

Post by drakedane2 »

Bought full version of Plugin Galaxy a long time ago, but am only just now seeking support for a problem I've had from day one: I can't get anything other than the default preset for each filter to stay applied. Any changes I make to the preset or choosing any other preset in the list [for that filter] applies for about half a second before switching to the default preset.

Why??

I apologize, if this is covered elsewhere. I DID try to look for something about this. I just noticed the search link at the top right. I will certainly try looking for an answer there.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

No, this topic isn't covered anywhere. It is the first time that I heard about it. I can only assume that has something to do with your system or way of using Plugin Galaxy. Plugin Galaxy is available for almost 7 years now and is used by thousands of people, so if this was a general problem, I should have heard about it by now.

Please let me know what Windows version you use and in which application you are running Plugin Galaxy.

I assume you mean that you can only apply affects from the first item on the Effects combo box and only with the settings that occur if you press the Reset button, right?

What axactly do you mean with "applies for about half a second before switching to the default preset"? Do you mean that if you select another item from the Effects combo box, that selection is changed automatically half a second later? Or does it occur when you press OK?

One thing that I can imagine that may cause the problem is if Plugin Galaxy can't write to the registry. But if that is the case other applications and plugins should also cause problems.

drakedane2

Filters won't Stay

Post by drakedane2 »

First, hope I'm using your message board properly. I'm trying to respond to your response to me.
HaraldHeim wrote:No, this topic isn't covered anywhere. It is the first time that I heard about it. I can only assume that has something to do with your system or way of using Plugin Galaxy. Plugin Galaxy is available for almost 7 years now and is used by thousands of people, so if this was a general problem, I should have heard about it by now.

Please let me know what Windows version you use and in which application you are running Plugin Galaxy.

I THINK I PROVIDED THESE DETAILS IN MY EMAIL, BUT I AM A MAC USER. LATEST VERSION OF OS X (not yelling, just want to make sure you can distinguish my comments from your quote). I PREFER MACROMEDIA'S FIREWORKS MX (looks like ver 6.x...). I purchased Plugin Galaxy in 2004. Isn't it possible that I just need an upgrade? I mean: The operating system has changed so much in the last year, but I'm not sure how all of that works or if those changes affect your software. I will see if there are any updates or patches that Fireworks may need, since purchasing and installing.
HaraldHeim wrote:I assume you mean that you can only apply affects from the first item on the Effects combo box and only with the settings that occur if you press the Reset button, right?
CORRECT! THE ONLY FILTER EFFECT I CAN APPLY AND KEEP IS THE DEFAULT PRESET FOR EACH FILTER (meaning I can use the default glass, the default edge, etc. effects, but no other presets, nor can i modify any settings and actually keep the results).
HaraldHeim wrote:What axactly do you mean with "applies for about half a second before switching to the default preset"? Do you mean that if you select another item from the Effects combo box, that selection is changed automatically half a second later? Or does it occur when you press OK?
HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS: If I select anything other than the default preset for a given filter (or change the settings for any preset), the effect first applies to the image. I see the progress bar filling up as the effect is applied; and then, for a moment, I actually see my image filtered the way I want. However, without pause, the progress bar continues to work; and, by the time it's done, it has refiltered the image so that it is the default preset.

THIS MEANS I AM NOT HAVING ANY TROUBLE APPLYING YOUR FILTERS OR ALTERING ANY SETTINGS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I EVEN, FOR A MOMENT, GET TO SEE THE EFFECT I WANT. IT JUST DOESN'T STAY!!! THIS SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THOSE LIMITATIONS A DEVELOPER MIGHT BUILD INTO A DEMO VERSION INTENTIONALLY TO ALLOW USERS TO USE AND TEST THE SOFTWARE, WITHOUT ALLOWING THEM TO KEEP ANY OF THE RESULTS WITHOUT FIRST PAYING. HOWEVER, I HAVE CLEAR PROOF OF PURCHASE AND A SERIAL NUMBER (although I can't remember how or when this number is used. just reinstalled since i purchased a long time ago and the serial number i have was never requested).
HaraldHeim wrote:One thing that I can imagine that may cause the problem is if Plugin Galaxy can't write to the registry.

SHOULDN'T APPLY TO ME AS A MAC USER, SHOULD IT? UNLESS OS X HAS BECOME EVEN MORE PC-LIKE THAN I HAD THOUGHT!
HaraldHeim wrote:But if that is the case other applications and plugins should also cause problems.
RIGHT. BUT NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OTHER PLUGINS.

drakedane2

Update

Post by drakedane2 »

Just upgraded Fireworks to the latest 8 version. Reinstalled PluginGalaxy and same result. Can't get any effect to stay applied. In fact, in Fireworks 8, I no longer even see the properly filtered image before it switches to the default preset for that filter. Now, the progress bar keeps working, until the final result is ready, which is still and always the default preset for that particular filter.

I can send you a copy of my system profile, if you tell me how to do it. Otherwise I can copy and paste any data from the system profile and post it here. Let me know, if you think this will help.

Thanks, for at least responding on this issue, even though you are yet to work out a solution.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The problem you describe is typical for Firework on the Mac. It makes a plugin render the result two times. That way it takes twice as long to render the effect and secondly as you mentioned, some plugins are not prepared for that and switch back to the default values or do something else that may mess up the final result.

We recently noticed this bug in Fireworks when testing ColorWasher for Mac in Fireworks and prepared ColorWasher for that.

I will ask the Mac programmer of Plugin Galaxy to fix this, but I don't know when I will have the update ready. I can also offer you a refund if you like.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem.