LightMachine feature suggestion

LightMachine specific discussions
msmsql
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

LightMachine feature suggestion

Post by msmsql »

I've downloaded the newest release of LightMachine and it works well on my "vintage" PhotoShop CS - save for the occasional "out of memory" error when I try it on stitched panoramas (I'm currently working on a 223MB one, and my PC has 1.5GB of RAM).

IMHO one of the greatest feature of the program is its ability to quickly generate complex masks, and I think they could be useful in other steps of my workflow: may I ask you provide an option to save / reload LightMachine masks in a format reusable outside the filter?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If the image is 223 MB large, you need to take into account that LightMachine needs three or four times that amount of RAM to process it. As you also have Windows, Photoshop and other programs occupying RAM and some of the RAM may be fragmented, 1.5 GB RAM may not be enough at times.

The latest LightMachine 1.02 tells Photoshop to free some unneeded RAM, which should help a bit. You can also try to improve the situation by choosing Edit > Purge > All in Photoshop.

You can export masks from LightMachine by activating the N or P button and pressing OK. The resulting image will be the mask. Now you can copy the mask into a layer mask or an alpha channel.

msmsql
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by msmsql »

HaraldHeim wrote:If the image is 223 MB large, you need to take into account that LightMachine needs three or four times that amount of RAM to process it. As you also have Windows, Photoshop and other programs occupying RAM and some of the RAM may be fragmented, 1.5 GB RAM may not be enough at times.

The latest LightMachine 1.02 tells Photoshop to free some unneeded RAM, which should help a bit. You can also try to improve the situation by choosing Edit > Purge > All in Photoshop.
Gone there, done that. I ended up splitting the image in two (canvas size), applying the same LM correction to both halves and recombining them (canvas size, then copy one image as a layer over the other, layer mask to select only the image content in the upper layer, flatten the result).
Which prompts me to ask advice on efficient ways to split / rebuild images using PhotoShop.
HaraldHeim wrote:You can export masks from LightMachine by activating the N or P button and pressing OK. The resulting image will be the mask. Now you can copy the mask into a layer mask or an alpha channel.
Great! I didn't know ... will try it as soon as I get home.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, splitting an image is a solution for the problem. I wrote about it here:
http://www.graphicsgalaxy.com/forums/th ... php?t=1813