Light Machine - first time user question(s)

LightMachine specific discussions
Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Light Machine - first time user question(s)

Post by Box Brownie »

Hi

I have installed the demo and can immediately see it is a powerful addition to the PSCS2 armoury.

I am very much a PP beginner and have hardly used all the functionality of PSCS2 but Light Machine does handle in one interface more potential than the CS2 shadow/highlight tool (one of the reasons I upgraded from CS !).

However, a couple of things I have found that I would welcome some feedback on:-

1) As my system is multi partitioned I installed it into my prefered drive location and used the plugin installer to locate the plugin correctly into its own folder. But when I click in the ? (help) in the plugin GUI it says the help file is not installed. Is there a solution to get it to point to the right location?

2) I like the split screen effect to see the effects of the changes but what would be good is if I could shift the "point of interest" i.e.the main part of the image where the effect will be most needed. This is not always in the image centre which Light Machine seems to assume.

Lastly, I have only just been experimenting with it and have yet to read the manual fully but I can see I will have to print it out because to learn I will need to follow the 'step by step', would be nice to have example screenshots in the manual? Especially the Shadow/Highlight tool because like the example on the website I have some images that need either/or shadow or highlight correction.

Any hints, guidance or feedback would be very welcome.

TIA :)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Light Machine - first time user question(s)

Post by HaraldHeim »

... Light Machine does handle in one interface more potential than the CS2 shadow/highlight tool (one of the reasons I upgraded from CS !).
The Shadow/Highlight tool in CS 2 doesn't has as good as no new features. So I don't quite understand why you upgraded to CS2 just because of it.

1) As my system is multi partitioned I installed it into my prefered drive location and used the plugin installer to locate the plugin correctly into its own folder. But when I click in the ? (help) in the plugin GUI it says the help file is not installed. Is there a solution to get it to point to the right location?
If you used the Plugin Installer, then LightMachine needs to lcoate the help files in the original installation folder. It reads it from the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ThePluginSite\LightMachine\InstallPath. See if the installation folder is mentioned there.

2) I like the split screen effect to see the effects of the changes but what would be good is if I could shift the "point of interest" i.e.the main part of the image where the effect will be most needed. This is not always in the image centre which Light Machine seems to assume.
You can shift the center by holding down the Alt key and clicking in the preview. It doesn't work perfect, because of a bug, but it will be in the next update.
Lastly, I have only just been experimenting with it and have yet to read the manual fully but I can see I will have to print it out because to learn I will need to follow the 'step by step', would be nice to have example screenshots in the manual?
It is planned to add some examples with screenshots and explanations with the next update.

Post by Guest »

HaraldHeim wrote:
... Light Machine does handle in one interface more potential than the CS2 shadow/highlight tool (one of the reasons I upgraded from CS !).
The Shadow/Highlight tool in CS 2 doesn't has as good as no new features. So I don't quite understand why you upgraded to CS2 just because of it.

I bought my CS upgrade before I had come across LightMachine !
If you used the Plugin Installer, then LightMachine needs to lcoate the help files in the original installation folder. It reads it from the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ThePluginSite\LightMachine\InstallPath. See if the installation folder is mentioned there.

I have checked the Registry and the correct path and folder are there. How can I ensure that the help file will open? Note - as mentioned this is not the default OS drive\program files etc

You can shift the center by holding down the Alt key and clicking in the preview. It doesn't work perfect, because of a bug, but it will be in the next update.

I thought I had tried that, I will recheck but perhaps the meant it disappointed because I think I could get the 'focus' to shift but it would stick. Is that the bug?
Lastly, I have only just been experimenting with it and have yet to read the manual fully but I can see I will have to print it out because to learn I will need to follow the 'step by step', would be nice to have example screenshots in the manual?
It is planned to add some examples with screenshots and explanations with the next update.
That would be great.

I hope you can guide me some more to get the help file pointed at correctly and in respect of the bug you mention when will the new version be coming out?

Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Darn I forgot to login

Post by Box Brownie »

Yes I did try the ALT key but the ability to shift the 'focus' does not work.

:cry:

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Please tell me the exact path in the registry. Just copy it from the reg editor and paste it here. I will try to reproduce the probnlem then.
...I think I could get the 'focus' to shift but it would stick. Is that the bug?
Probably. I noticed a problem with this feature shortly after releasing Version 1.01. Will fix it in the next update.
when will the new version be coming out?
Probably first quarter of next year, but there is no fixed date yet.

Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Box Brownie »

Hi Harald

A little bizarrely the ? link to the helpfile now works. Very odd as I have not changed anything other than looking at the path in Regedit.

Oh well, at least it works now.

Ref the bug, a pity it will not be fixed for a fair while. Is there a workaround for a situation where the main area needing a 'fix' is off centre for shadow/highlight work.

Thanks again.

:)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can zoom to 100% and move the image in the preview. That way you can also make off-center areas visible in the Multiple Split View.

Besides, you can always press the right mouse button and release it again to switch between the original image and the modified version.

Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Box Brownie »

Hi Harald

I purchased Lightmachine and it certainly helps where the help is needed.

But one thing that is still very odd. Immediately after installing I was checking through the various functions including opening the Help file from the ? and it opened OK.

I carried on working on an image and wanted to check someting in the Help but from then on I get the error asking me to check that the Help file is installed correctly. Mighty strange that it should wok one minute and not the next, and not snce then :-?

IMHO this is not a major issue more an irritation but it would be nice if the help file opened correctly when I needed from the plugin link.

Thanks for great plugin.

:)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds strange. I will see if I can find the problem and add a fix in the next update. Until then you can also run the manual from the Start > Program > LightMachine menu at the bottom left of your screen.

Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Box Brownie »

Hi Harald

In case it helps and to ask your feedback/advice.

Whilst looking for something else I came across a reference to itss.dll this apparently can affect the launching of context sensitive help from within Windows applications. Apparently you have to use regsvr32 to 'register it' (again?).

Now as reported by me the Help opened OK then failed to do so. Therefore I have no idea whether the reason I outline above has anything to do with it?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't think it has anything to do with this .dll. LightMachine looks in the folder that it is located for the help file, then reads the Lightmachine installation folder from the registry and looks there. So maybe the LightMachine registry entry was corrupted on your computer or you moved LightMachine to a different folder after the installation or renamed the installation folder.

Box Brownie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Box Brownie »

HaraldHeim wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with this .dll. LightMachine looks in the folder that it is located for the help file, then reads the Lightmachine installation folder from the registry and looks there. So maybe the LightMachine registry entry was corrupted on your computer or you moved LightMachine to a different folder after the installation or renamed the installation folder.
It was just a thought :-?

The only thing I may have done differently to other folk is install it in a non default drive. I did not move anything around after the installation or rename any folders.

But as noted the help did open OK the first time but failed therafter, very strange? Of the list you state that leaves a Registry corruption, I wonder how that can happen after it worked OK to start with :(

I have also rechecked the Registry for the 'installation path' and it is OK.