LightMachine memory issue...

LightMachine specific discussions
Brian Stirling
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

LightMachine memory issue...

Post by Brian Stirling »

I've been a user of FocalBlade and LightMachine since they first came out and am now using them withing PS CS2. I have discovered an issue with LightMachine (1.01 and prior) that only happens when working on larger than normal images. That is, I have no problem when working on a single image from my Canon 1Ds Mark II (16.6MP) DSLR, but when I try to run it with a pano image made from five (5) images from the 1DsM2 it runs out of memory. I can perform the PS CS2 Shadow/Highlight tool on it and also run FocalBlade on it but not LightMachine. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

LightMachine needs to have the whole image in RAM for the final processing. FocalBlade on the other hand processes piece by piece and doesn't need to have the whole image in memory.

It is planned to make LightMachine process images tile by tile in a future version. Because of the complexity of LightMachine it isn't an easy task.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The following instructions will help you to overcome the memory limitation. The trick is to split up the images in two or more areas and process them one after the other.

Here are the instructions for processing a large image in two passes:

1. Create a rectangular selection that contains the left half of the image.
2. To avoid some brightness differences between the two image halves choose Select > Feather and use a value of between 16 and 128 (depending on the image and the value of the Radius slider in LightMachine).
3. Apply LightMachine.
4. Choose Select > Inverse to select the other image half.
5. Apply LightMachine with the same settings as before, e.g. from the top of the Filter menu.
6. Remove the selection.

You can save these steps as a action if you need to apply them on several images. If the image is even larger, you need to use the same technique with three or more selections.

Post by Guest »

After applying step 4 (inverse selection), the complete image shows up in Lightmachine.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You must be doing something wrong if only half the image appeared the first time and the whole image appears the second time in LightMachine.