LightMachine: select the brightest und darkest spots

LightMachine specific discussions
G?nter Diel

LightMachine: select the brightest und darkest spots

Post by G?nter Diel »

Hello!

I bought LightMachine and I'm very impressed by it's possibilites.
In many Images I want only to darken the highest highlight
und/or to brighten the darkest shadows.

What's the best way to do this?

It's easy to do it with Photoshops "Shadow/Highlight" function.
But wenn I try this with LightMachine, it's very difficult to limit the effect
to the brightest und darkest spots.

Günter Diel

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Please use the Threshold slider to limit the effect to only the darkest shadows or only the brightest highlights.

G?nter Diel

Threshold slider

Post by G?nter Diel »

The Threshold slider alone doesn't work to achieve the desired effekt.
With Threshold AND Radius slider I get what I want.

Perhap it would a good idea to put some pictures in the manual with detailed
explanations how to use all the gerat features.

Günter

Huib
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Re: Threshold slider

Post by Huib »

Günter Diel wrote:The Threshold slider alone doesn't work to achieve the desired effekt.
With Threshold AND Radius slider I get what I want.

Perhap it would a good idea to put some pictures in the manual with detailed
explanations how to use all the gerat features.

Günter
Yes. That would be a great idea. I am just playing with Lightmachine and only sometimes I get good results. There are some sample pictures and let Harold tell how he has done this! :D

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

OK, I'll add some more details and sample projects to the manual with the next update.

Post by Guest »

HaraldHeim wrote:OK, I'll add some more details and sample projects to the manual with the next update.
When are you giving some samples and details. I find it very difficult to work with Lightmachine. Replacing colors for an example is in PS much easier for me to understand. Grey to blue is difficult or blue to orange is impossible.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Please have a look at the new presets that were added to LigheMachine 1.0b. It contains presets for turning blue to white and orange to white. You can take these as a starting point.

We didn't manage to add a more detailed tutorial in Version 1.0b yet, but please have a look at the Step-by-Step page in the manual. It contains some very details instructions for standard procedures.

It is probably easier to use PS' Color Replace tool, because it only offers three sliders, but LightMachine's Color Replace Pro mode has much more options and lets you fine tune the result very precisely.

LightMachine is certainly a pro tool, so you need to invest more time, but the results will make it worth it.

Post by Guest »

HaraldHeim wrote:Please have a look at the new presets that were added to LigheMachine 1.0b. It contains presets for turning blue to white and orange to white. You can take these as a starting point.

We didn't manage to add a more detailed tutorial in Version 1.0b yet, but please have a look at the Step-by-Step page in the manual. It contains some very details instructions for standard procedures.

It is probably easier to use PS' Color Replace tool, because it only offers three sliders, but LightMachine's Color Replace Pro mode has much more options and lets you fine tune the result very precisely.

LightMachine is certainly a pro tool, so you need to invest more time, but the results will make it worth it.
The presets gives a lot of colors for change to gray. But is it possible to change a boring grey sky to blue?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

As long as the sky is not totally grey you can try to raise contrast and saturation. Also try to add a blue color on the C-Color tab sheet.

If you send me the image, I can send you a LightMachine preset for doing that.

Post by Guest »

HaraldHeim wrote:As long as the sky is not totally grey you can try to raise contrast and saturation. Also try to add a blue color on the C-Color tab sheet.

If you send me the image, I can send you a LightMachine preset for doing that.
Harald,

I send you 2 files. One made in PS and the orignal. I am wondering what you can do in Lightmachine :roll:

Huib