LightMachine masking

LightMachine specific discussions
elsen029
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

LightMachine masking

Post by elsen029 »

Hi there,

I am using LightMachine now for a couple of days and it is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT !!! What detail can be gotten out of 'too dark' or 'burnt out' images; very nice! It us surely worth uts money!

One question about Shadow / Higlights Pro; adjusting the mask is very sophisticated. Using the 'threshold' slider in Fine-tune nearly always produces the mask I want, but sometimes I would like to remove some parts from the mask and it cannot be done using threshold. It would be very convenient to be able to brush out some parts of the mask manually.

Is there a way doing so from within LM? :-? It would be possible to export the mask produced in LM and then adjust the mask manually in PS, but how is it possible to get the adjusted mask back into LM then?

thanks!

Erik van den Elsen, Netherlands. :)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Here is one of several posible solution for that problem:

1. Dublicate the background image to two new layers.

2. Apply LightMachine on one layers while having the S button activated

3. Apply it again on the second layer with the H button activated.

4. Now you have two layers, one with the shadows and one with the highlight areas.

5. Now use the rubber tool to make some more areas transparent on one of the two layers.

6. Apply LightMachine in Brightness/Contrast Pro mode to each of the two layers to correct them.

If you only want to adjust the shadows, you can skip the steps about the second layer.

Another possibility is to apply LightMachine in Shadows/Highlights Pro mode and run it again using the Virtual Studio mode to darken or brighten some areas with spots.

A correction brush feature is planned for a future version of LightMachine.

elsen029
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

RE: LightMachine masking

Post by elsen029 »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the quick response; I will try working the mask as you proposed, great.

A correction brush would be a very strong feature though!

Thanks for now.

Erik :P