Light Machine problem in PS CS

LightMachine specific discussions
phlegmatic2
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by phlegmatic2 »

Really like the light machine but ran into a problem while trying to correct some dark shadows. I got an 'out of memory- error insufficient RAM' . The particular image I was processing has two layers - the background layer and a duplicate of the background layer that I had processed earlier with neat image. It was the duplicate layer I wanted to use the light machine on, so it was active when I started. It is 16 bits in depth. Image pixel size is 119 megabytes. I have alloctated 970 meg of RAM to PS and have a seperate scratch disk. Not sure what to do. I don't want to flatten the image ( I can get light machine to work without an error message on flattened image) . As I recall a similiar memory error problem occurred in and earlier version of Focal Blade. Anyone else had this happen ?

Don

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

LightMachine needs the whole image to be in memory, so there can be memory problems with very large images. ColorWasher and FocalBlade already process images in tiles, so they can process images that are larger than the available RAM. LightMachine doesn't do that yet, because the complexity of what it does makes it very difficult to let it process the image in tiles. But we plan to implement it in a future version.

At the moment I can only advice you to save the two-layer image, flatten it, apply LightMachine, open the saved image and copy the flattened layer to the opened image.

phlegmatic2
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by phlegmatic2 »

Thanks Harold. I have been doing what you suggest as a work around. Again I am really pleased with how well the plug in salvages my underexposed pictures. I've only found a few really great plug-ins and two of them are yours . I am looking forward to the update.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I should also mention that setting the memory used by Photoshop to a value larger than 75% may slow down LightMachine 1.0.

I just got an email from someone else who wrote that he set Photoshop to 98% memory usage. I generally wouldn't recommend doing that. It can slow down Windows and some other plugins, too.

Willem

LightMachine Demo

Post by Willem »

Harald,
I tried LightMachine but do have also problems with not enough RAM. I've installed 2 Gb on my Dual Opteron. I usually scan and process images 120 Mb (16bits) and bigger (Medium format) for profesional service.

I like LighMachine and would buy it when I was able to edit files
up to 450 Mb with dual layers. I also use FocalBlade these are handled well.

Best Regards
Willem van den Berg