Results much "weaker" than Preview.

FocalBlade specific discussions
Leigh
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Results much "weaker" than Preview.

Post by Leigh »

REF: Win-7-64, PS CS5, Focalblade 2.02./ One Pass Pro (Intel i2600 CPU/16 GB RAM):

I've noted on a few recent "projects that the on-screen results obtained from Focalblade sharpening is considerably less pronounced than suggested by the Preview.

Often, when in Focalblade Preview I can check/uncheck the Preview, and see a clearly defined change; but when the image opens again in Photoshop the change is often barely perceptible, to the degree that I have to "look hard" when switching between the Pre & Post sharpened files to see if there is any affect at all.

Some of the files were in 16 bit mode, and some had been resized with On One's Perfect Resize software.

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Leigh

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Results much "weaker" than Preview.

Post by HaraldHeim »

When you are looking at an image in Photoshop at less than 100% zoom, you see a softened version of the image, because Photoshop's zooming algorithm softens images. FocalBlade's preview does not soften the image when zooming, so it shows the real pixel data.

So my suggestion is to set the zoom to 100% in Photoshop when viewing a sharpened image, otherwise you do not see the real sharpness of the image.

Another advice: Always resize the image to the output size before sharpening, otherwise the sharpening will be reduced when resizing the image afterwards, just like the sharpness is reduced when Photoshop internally resizes the image for displaying it at less than 100% zoom.

chicagonature
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by chicagonature »

Harry,

Leigh described the problem as if he were in my head. Many years ago I mentioned this problem to you and the issue still exists today.

At 100% in FocalBlade Plugin the results appear prominent. But, once FB hands it back to Photoshop, you can barely see the difference at 100%. I ALWAYS have to go back into FocalBlade to increase the effect. Always! With FB1 & FB2 and all versions of Photoshop that goes back to PS CS1 though CS6.

Thanks for backing me up on this one, Leigh!

Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I see the same sharpening effect in Photoshop and FocalBlade if both are set to 100% zoom. I can send you an screen shot if you do not believe me.

So I am not quite sure what your problem is, Mike, but I can assure you that FocalBlade does not apply a weaker sharpening effect when you press OK. If you do not compare the image at 100% zoom in the FocalBlade preview and 100% in the Photoshop window, you will see different sharpening degrees. In a future update there will be an option to see the same preview as in the Photoshop window at other zoom rates than 100%.

I recommend to use the Proof button on the FocalBlade dialog to see a simulation of the sharpen intensity on screen or on a printer.