Focalblade suggestion for post-sharpening regolations

FocalBlade specific discussions
szphoto
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Focalblade suggestion for post-sharpening regolations

Post by szphoto »

Hi all, my name's Stefano and I'm writing from Italy. It's the first time I write on this forum.
Now, I presume the workflow of Focalblade is:
1) Load in momory a copy of the layer I want to sharpen
2) Aplly on this "virtual" layer the mask
3) Apply on this "virtual" layer the sharpening
4) Blend the "virtual" layer on the layer I want to sharpen

This is a very powerful workflow, but it's have a cons. After applying sharpening, all games are done. I have not possibilitry to implement further regolations.
In manual workflow (Bruce Fraser workflow), instead, I have post-sharpening regolation possibilities: I can modify Sharpening layer opacity, I can blur the mask, I can apply level/curves on mask, ...

I'm wondering if it's not possible have such post-sharpening regolation also with Focalblade.
The solution could be this: Focalblade generate a sharpening layer and the Focalblade mask is applied as layer mask of this layer.
Do you think it's a possible evolution of Focalblade?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can already duplicate the image on a new layer before you apply FocalBlade to this new layer. So after you applied the sharpening with FocalBlade, you can change the opacity of the layer to reduce the sharpening. You can also add a layer mask to selectively remove the sharpening from certain image areas.

It is also possible to have the mask that FocalBlade internally uses as a layer mask. But that requires several extra steps and some adjustments within FocalBlade. So it is not so practical at the moment. But I can provide an small tutorial if you are insterested.

To apply other sharpening settings with FocalBlade you need to delete the mentioned sharpening layer, create a new one and sharpen again with FocalBlade. A future version of FocalBlade will offer support for smart filtering, so that you can change the FocalBlade settings anytime without any extra steps.

Another possible future option would be to let FocalBlade automatically save its mask to a layer mask. For that it would probably be necessary to create a layer with a layer mask before you apply FocalBlade. Thanks for remembering me of this idea! It is definitely something we will add.

szphoto
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by szphoto »

Thank you very much Harald for your reply.
You can already duplicate the image on a new layer before you apply FocalBlade to this new layer. So after you applied the sharpening with FocalBlade, you can change the opacity of the layer to reduce the sharpening.
Of course. But the most important feature, IMHO, is not the layer opacity regolation, but the possibility to have post-sharpening regulations on the mask
It is also possible to have the mask that FocalBlade internally uses as a layer mask. But that requires several extra steps and some adjustments within FocalBlade. So it is not so practical at the moment. But I can provide an small tutorial if you are insterested.
That's interesting! Now, if I want to export the mask, I run Focalblade leaving the previwe window on "positive mask" or "negative mask" (I don't remember the exact word).
So, instead apply a sharpening, Focalblade apply the mask.
Are you referring to another method? A quick tutorial will be very useful! Thanks
A future version of FocalBlade will offer support for smart filtering, so that you can change the FocalBlade settings anytime without any extra steps.

Another possible future option would be to let FocalBlade automatically save its mask to a layer mask. For that it would probably be necessary to create a layer with a layer mask before you apply FocalBlade
Great news! thanks for your work.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Ok, here is your tutorial:

1. Dublicate the image three times, so that you have it on three new layers. Rename them to "Mask", "Edges" and "Surface".

2. Run FocalBlade on the Mask layer and set your sharpening settings. Then Select "X-Ray Negative" from the Mask Display combo box. With OK you save the edge mask to the image.

3. Run FocalBlade on the Edges layer, set Mask Display to "Off" and the Sharpen Slider on the Surface tab sheet to zero (But please keep its value im mind for step 4). Press OK.

4. Run FocalBlade on the Surface layer, set the Sharpen Slider on the Surface tab sheet to its old value and set the the Sharpen Slider on the Edges tab sheet to zero. Press OK.

5. Now we need to copy and paste the mask from step 2 as a layer mask into the Edges layer and Surface layer. To do that make only the Mask layer visible in the Layers palette (by Alt-clicking on its eye icon), switch to the Channels palette, hold down the Ctl key and click on one of the channels. Switch back to the Layers palette, activate the Edges layer and create a layer mask. The mask image is now used as a layer mask.

6. Hold down the Alt key and click on the layer mask thumbnail of the Edges layer. Activate the Surface layer and create a layer mask. Invert the mask with Ctl and I.

7. Delete the Mask layer and make sure that all three layers are visible.

Of course, if you do not want to have a Surface layer, just ignore the instructions refering to it above.