"Memory access violation!" when opening DNG files

General discussions ColorWasher, FocalBlade, LightMachine, B/W Styler and ContrastMaster
DDR
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

"Memory access violation!" when opening DNG files

Post by DDR »

I tried to develop RAW negatives in BW Styler and Colour Styler (Standalones). I tried to open DNGs created by carphones Huawei P20 and P20Pro (April 2018). Both BW Stlyer and Colour Styler have not opened these DNGs, saying "Memory access violation!". The DNGs are here: https://we.tl/fvgAqPL3m8 (178 MB)
While these DNGs converted to the ARC 7 level, by Adobe DNG Converter, were opened without a problem (the files are marked as "_converted" in the below archive).

I thought that the DNGs are very large: P20Pro has a 48Mpx resolution so that the DNGs take 70-80Mb of the size. I therefore tried other super-Megapixel RAWs shot on Sony A7R III and Nikon D850 (taken from the internet). No problem, BW Styler and Colour Styler open the RAWs.

My question is therefore: what is the problem with the DNG files? The DNG format is advertised as something "universal". So, there should not be dependence on the camera profile...

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: "Memory access violation!" when opening DNG files

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for letting me know. While the MetaRaw plugin is able to open these dng files, the PhotoWiz standalones, which use the MetaRaw DLL, produce a crash. I will fix the problem and let you know.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: "Memory access violation!" when opening DNG files

Post by HaraldHeim »

There was a problem with reading the EXIF data of the Huawei P20 DNG files, which caused the crash. The bug was not in MetaRaw itself, but the standalone file format library. I send you a fixed dll file via email.