Are Vector Program Effects Filters Interchangeable?

Comments and discussions about plugins that can used in Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, CorelDraw and other applications
Vector Guy

Post by Vector Guy »

Harald & Gang:

I was wondering whether Vector Filter Effects included in CorelDRAW! 12 and Freehand MX could be used as compatible and fully functional plug-ins if placed in Adobe Illustrator 10's Plug-in folder?

To give you one specific example, could you copy the "Interactive Contour" Effect File found in CorelDRAW! and paste it into Illustrators plug-in folder and have a compatible plug-in accessed through the Filter sub-menu (with the Contour Effect dialog box "looking like" and functioning identical to the way it does in CorelDRAW!)?

In essence, can Adobe Illustrator act as a compatible "Host" to Vector Effect Filters found in CorelDRAW! & Freehand?

Hope you can help.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If the effects in CorelDraw and Freehand aren't programmed as Illustrator plugins, you can't use them in Illustrator. As CorelDraw and Freehand don't support Illustrator plugins, I can't imagine that their effects are implemented as Illustartor plugins. All three companies are competitors, so they wouldn't want that their effects are usuable in a competitor's application.

Vector Guy

Post by Vector Guy »

I thought the 'likely" answer would be that these wouldn't be compatible (for the competitive reasons you stated), but figured it was worth asking about- and if anyone would know, it would be you. :)

I suppose to be 100% sure I could try placing an effect filter from CorelDRAW! and/or FreeHand in the Illustrator Plug-ins folder and test it to see if it works.

BUT BEFORE I TRY THIS…,

Is there any "risk" in screwing something up (like causing a total system crash, having to remove and re-install Illustrator- or anything bad in general :( ) by trying this, OR is the worst thing that could happen is I have wasted my time and end up having to just delete the file out of Illustrators plug-in folder???

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

No, there shouldn't be any problem. If an application doesn't recognize a plugin, it just ignores it. But make sure that you find the files again in order to remove them afterwards.

Vector Guy

Post by Vector Guy »

Harold:

Thanks again for taking time to reply!

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

Just in case something happens (which I doubt), instead of reinstalling Illustrator, simply delete the AIPrefs file (usually it will solve any problem, from tools not loading to program crashes); the next time you open Illustrator it will automatically create a new AIPrefs file without the errors from the previous one.

I'm wondering if you are going to be successful at this at all, considering the lack of compatibility between CorelDRAW and Illustrator even when working with normal vector files (i.e. eps, which Corel always manage to screw up). However, if things work out nice, would you mind leaving a note? I'm kinda curious now :)