Two Plugins That Hang Up Photoshop CS5 BADLY...

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
DBKettrey
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Two Plugins That Hang Up Photoshop CS5 BADLY...

Post by DBKettrey »

Hi Harald. I haven't been able to figure out why two older 32-bit plugins run fine in Photoshop Elements 11 and in the current version of IrfanView , but hang up Photoshop CS5 (32-bit) for several minutes. The two plugins are the old Topaz "Vivacity" and Pixel Vista's "EasySharp". Of course, Vivacity was dropped by Topaz long ago; and the 'current' version of EasySharp is years old, yet Elements 11 and IrfanView handle both plugins quite well. But not so with CS5.

After first installing either or both the plugins in CS5, the program hangs up for a few minutes during the "Scanning For Plugins..." stage, taking far longer than it normally would when reading any other new plugin. Eventually, CS5 progresses to the "Initializing" stage, which also takes minutes to complete. After dragging out the total process for several minutes, CS5 finally launches, and the plugin(s) DO show up in the Filters menu.

Once CS5 has gotten its initial hang-ups out of the way, subsequent launches of the program go quickly.

But the CS5 freeze-up problem appears again every time I try to launch either of those plugins on an image...it takes minutes for either plugin's interface to appear. Nonetheless, the plugins do eventually complete their tasks.

Do you have any idea why these two plugins hang-up so long in Photoshop CS5 while running fine in Elements 11 and IrfanView? I believe that those plugins could run fine in CS5 if I knew how to fix whatever is interfering with them.

FocalBlade is my main sharpening filter, but I will also use EasySharp in some situations. Unfortunately, I have to switch programs to use it because I don't want to sit and wait and wait for the filter to work in CS5.

Thank you, Harald!
DB Kettrey

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Two Plugins That Hang Up Photoshop CS5 BADLY...

Post by HaraldHeim »

Because Photoshop CS5 is newer than PSE 11 and Irfan View, it causes the problem. The plugins were very likely never tested in Photoshop CS5, so the developers of these old plugins did not prepare them for changes in the newer Photoshop CS5.

The only thing you could try is to use the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS5 and use the plugins via LaunchBox (https://www.alphaplugins.com/products/p ... prod_id=19).

DBKettrey
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by DBKettrey »

Sounds reasonable to me, Harald. Thank you for your reply!

-Dave
DB Kettrey

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Actually PSE 11 was released 2 years after PS CS5 as I just noticed. But it seems the plugins cannot handle something in PS CS5.

DBKettrey
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by DBKettrey »

That's my theory, too, Harald. I have long suspected that there might be one or more incompatible dll's in CS5 that those plugins don't like. Both the plugins WILL eventually launch in CS5 if I wait long enough; they just stubbornly insist on putting CS5 into some kind of 'holding pattern' before their UI's come up.

Thanks again, Harald!
DB Kettrey