Auto FX Photographic Edges 6.06 Crashing

Comments and discussions about other graphics tools
jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Auto FX Photographic Edges 6.06 Crashing

Post by jerimg »

eGreetings All,

I am having problems with using Auto FX Photographic Edges (stand alone) crashing all the time. Usually towards the end of the project. (about 10 changes)
I have contacted Auto FX about this and they can't seem to figure it out either. They sent me a new set of CDs which fixed being able to uninstall the program but did not stop the crashing.

It doesn't matter the size or the format of the photo. I have stopped all running programs prior to openting POE. I thought maybe I was running out of memory (I have 1 gig). But that doesn't seem the case.

I bought the tutorial CD to make sure I was using the program properly.

It seems a shame to pay so much for a program and to not be able to use.

Has anyone had any problems with POE that they found an answer for?
Any conflicts with other software or hardware? :-?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Kind Regards,
Jeri

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sorry to hear about your problems. I used Photographic Edge 6 for some time, but it never crashed on my computer. Auto FX doesn't produce the the most stable software, so this doesn't totally surprise me.

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

Hi Harald,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am very disappointed in this software. I wish I had done more research before I had made the purchase.

Thanks again,
Jeri

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It is always good to test the trial version of software before you buy it. Unfortunatelly Auto FX doesn't offer fully-working trial versions, so that would probably not have helped you in this case.

You should definitely try to get a refund from Auto FX.

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

eGreetings Harald,

Thank you for your reply.

I did test Photographic Edges and the downloaded trial worked perfectly.
But it was very limited and did not allow you to use your own images.

I am at the 9th time of uninstalling and reinstalling per AutoFX Tech. Support troubleshooting procedures. And still no luck of keeping the program from crashing. They haven't provided any tips or any other help besides uninstalling and reinstalling - which is not helping.

Thanks again,
Jeri

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Hi Jeri, I can confirm this crashing on a Mac as well. There were some updates to the Auto FX apps some time ago, but not lately, I believe, and they didn't help the crashing.

In my opinion, the Auto FX apps are wonderful, but operate with way too much overhead (the demand for RAM is unbelievable, etc.). They should take a lesson from the streamlined interface used in the current Alien Skin products.

Mike

Didge
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Didge »

Jeri ........... What operating system are you using and is it up to date re patches and fixes ?
What's the error message you get when Photographic Edges crashes ?
Does it crash when you're doing the same thing each time ?
As much information as you can supply can help in finding a fix for this problem.
You say that the problem is with the standalone version, how about when the software's installed into Photoshop's Plugin directory ?
Have you tried it with any other programme, i.e. Paintshop Pro, PhotoImpact or even Irfanview, in fact any other programme which uses Photoshop compatible plugins ?
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I tend to run the Auto FX apps as standalones because of the RAM demands.

As, in regards to PGE, I don't like the way you need to load 2 or 3 CDs full of frames to your hard drive before you can access them (unlike Extensis PhotoFrame, where you can have as little or as many frames/edges as you want accessible).

BTW, PGE crashes can occur when you try to use preset effects that use frames not installed.

See examples of PGE and PhotoFrame (as well as EasyFrame and the other Auto FX apps) in action on my Plugs N' Pixels website.

Mike
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

Thank you all for your comments!

Question:
What is the error messages?

Answer:
Windows XP pops up with the following:
PGE_6 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
To see what data this report contains Click Here.

(continued examples of error messages)
AppName: pge.exe
AppVer: 6.0.0.0
ModName: pge.exe
ModVer: 6.0.0.0
Offset: 001fb073

(another example)
all same except:
Offset: 001c813b

Offset changes with each crash.

Question:
Does PGE crash doing the same thing?

Answer:
No, it doesn't matter what I am doing, or which options I choose. It doesn't matter if the image is a .jpg, .png, .tif, .bmp.
And it doesn't matter the size of the image. I have tried from 10k to 3 mb.

Question:
Have to tried it as a plugin?

Answer:
Yes, on Paint Shop Pro 9 and PhotoImpact 10. I don't have Photoshop.
It still crashes on a whim.

I can include the log file where WinXP saves the error message to send to Microsoft if that will help. But it is very long. Let me know if you want me to post it. It says something different with each crash.

It is terribly nice of you to try to help me!

I think AutoFX has given up they won't return my emails requesting assistance.

Thanks!!!!

Kind Regards,
Jeri

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

eGreetings All,

I think I fixed it!!

I uninstalled the program (again).

Also, I noticed that once of my other software programs was not loading, Art Explosion Publisher Pro.
So, I uninstalled it also.

Then, ran Tuneup 2004 Clean Up and Repair on my system. To clean and defrag the Registry.

Then, I ran Scan Disk and Defrag.

I installed Art Explosion Publisher Pro and then installed AutoFX Edges.

I noticed that when installing the plugin portion that it didn't install it in the folder that I chose. So, I dragged PGE_PlugIn.8bf into my Paint Shop Pro 9/PlugIns/AutoFX Software folder.

I then shut my system all the way down and turned it back on.

Both the stand alone version and the plugin version seem to working properly! No crashes so far!

I am so happy - I will now do the dance of JOY!!!

Thank you all for your comments and help!

Kind Regards,
Jeri

Didge
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Didge »

Andrew Buckle at www.graphicxtras.com offers similar software at much better prices than AutoFX and it all works wonderfully well straight out of the box !!
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

This is a follow up for those searching for information regarding AutoFX Photographic Edges.

I am still having problems with crashing. I can make a couple of changes and open a new image now.

But it crashes a lot. This is the most frustrating piece of software I own and it was the most expensive.

It does have some wonderful edges and supposedly can do some terrific effects. But it is very unstable.

Best Wishes to you all,
Jeri

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

PhotographicEdges is certainly the best software of its kind, but you would probably have to buy a new computer to get it working. If that isn't possible, you should certainly ask AutoFX for a refund and get an alternative software, e.g. Extensis PhotoFrames, which also lets you do great effects and works much faster and more stable.

mitchman
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Auto FX

Post by mitchman »

For what it is worth... I also bought a bundle of Auto FX plugins including PGE 5, DreamSuite 1 and Gel. I love what they are capable of doing, but I have several complaints.

I work on a Macintosh G4, and when I first got these plugs it was a 733MHz with 1.2 Gigs RAM and I was using OS 9 and PS 7. When I had trouble with crashing and loading (VERY long load times) I asked the Auto FX folks just how much RAM these apps needed. I never got a reply, though they did try to help otherwise. They also sent notices of updates... for OSX, two bonus plugins (Mosaic and Dreamy Photo) and gave me an upgrade to PhotoSuite Pro, which gave layering capabilities to the stand-alone app. None of these bonuses made the software perform to my satisfaction even though it now functions much better.

I wound up taking the plugins out of Photshop and using them as stand-alone apps due to crashes and slow render/load times. I found that I could do what I wanted with other plugs like Extensis PhotoFrame (altho Harry's Frame and Edge Gallery is probably better) and the line of Flaming Pear plugs with Aetherize, Mr. Contrast, Kyoto Color and so on... all at a fraction of the cost.

The other big thing that bugs me about the Auto FX apps is the lack of hi-resolution support (all images are converted to 72dpi and sized up to maintain resolution instead of working at the image base size and dpi). You would think that for the price that must be paid for a fully functioning application (yes, I too have seen thier so-called "Demo" apps) their products would be more refined and professional with more attention to actual functioning and less to interface aestetics. I always wind up having to re-convert my images back to their original size and 300dpi resolution. This is a wast of time and effort.

I really wish it was a better product line. As I said when I started, I love what the apps are capable of, and I would use them if they worked better. Mine are now falling out of date, and I am afraid they have lost a customer. I am unlikely to invest the kind of money they require in order to upgrade when there are other products that accomplish the same thing with fewer problems and for less money.

In the mean time, I have invested heavily in equipment and other apps; I now have a 1.2GHz processor, a Wacom tablet and PS CS 1. I have tried and paid for almost all of the Flaming Pear Plugs (they give fully functioning demos that do everything for 30 days... I like that, and so I am loyal to their product line, which works at hi resolutions and functions flawlessly--THAT is professionalism), Alien Skin plugs (same kudos there) and a smattering of others like KPT and Extensis. Auto Fx has not recieved another dime from me even though I would love to have their products like Mystical Tint and Lighting... because of inconsistant performance.

Sorry to rant, but there it is, my two cents.
Flamig Pear and Alien Skin cannot PAY for the kind of advertising I have just given them as a satisfied customer... unfortunately, the reverse is true for Auto FX; they cannot fix how I feel about thier products without a complete re-write of their software. I hope Auto FX is paying attention, and that this has helped some of you folks out there to make an informed decision about their product line.
Mitch

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I totally agree. It is a pity that the nice Auto FX effects are incorporated in a software framework that isn't at all optimized for speed, usability and performance. My impression is that Auto FX has too many designers and marketing people on board and no people with great programming skills. As far as I know they hire external people for the programming stuff. I guess if they would use a much better software framework they could lower their prices and at the same time earn much more money.

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

Note: AUTOFX PHOTOGRAPHIC EDGES
Since I had so much trouble with this software. And I tried everything I could think of to get it to run. With AutoFX not providing any solution and they would not refund my money. I decided to try to sell it on Ebay. Well, AutoFX filed a complaint against me and had my auction removed.

Please be aware of this before you buy any AutoFX Software.

Because I purchased the Tutorial CD also this was alot of money down the toilet.

I hate to say bad things about another but this just takes the cake.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

jerimg wrote:Note: I decided to try to sell it on Ebay. Well, AutoFX filed a complaint against me and had my auction removed.
I guess you are located in the US. I don't know about US laws, but selling 2nd hand software is legal in many other countries, e.g. Germany. So you could still try to place it on ebay.de or other foreign ebay web sites.

jerimg
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jerimg »

Hi Harold,

You didn't have to reply...But Thank you!

I don't want to take the chance of relisting and maybe getting kicked off eBay. I am disabled and occasionally sell off items I don't use any more. So getting suspended would be very bad for me.
So, I decided to write some reviews, I placed one with cnet.com and one with epinions.com. I am a member of both. This might help some other person from making the mistake of purchasing.

You have been more than kind! Thank you so much for your support. I love your Newletters - especially the polls. I love to see what others are using. Thanks for all your hard work - you have a great site!

Best to you,
Jeri

txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

PGE 6.0 crashing

Post by txbonfire »

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased the Auto FX PGE 6.0 and have been using it. I am seeing the problems described by jerimg. Basically, after editing about every 5th pic, the program crashes with the same error message that jerimg documented. I did a search and came across this thread.

Does anyone have any advice as to how this problem can be corrected? If there is anything I should be looking for?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and still have the same issues. I've opened a case with Auto FX and have not heard back from them.

I am using this as a stand-alone app, even though I use Adove Photoshop CS2 on a regular basis. I thought it would be safer to run the PGE 6.0 as a stand-alone app. I am running Windows XP with 2G of RAM.

Thanks for any advice,
Angela
-Angela

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Hi Angela,

Assuming you needed it with such a recent purchase, did you download the patch (when installed it is called PGE.plugin, dated 9/7/07) offered a little over a year ago? Last I checked, this and other patches helped Auto FX plug-ins run better as plug-ins. I had been using them as standalones because of the unusually high RAM requirements.

Presets can often be troublesome. If the preset files are not installed where the plug-in expects them, it will crash. Try avoiding presets while editing and see if it helps.

The whole Auto FX product line is in need of further updates, I would think.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com