Auto FX Photographic Edges 6.06 Crashing

Comments and discussions about other graphics tools
txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by txbonfire »

I just purchased the PGE6.0 last week. I have not installed a patch. I should have the latest s/w, correct?

Concerning presets, what should I be looking for?

My main workflow right now is to apply an edge to a photo, tweak it a little, then save that as a Layer Preest. I then load that layer preset on subsequent photos I need to edit. The program crashes when I apply my created preset or when I apply an effect such as an edge or tab, etc....

There is no consistent action that I perform when the program crashes. It is very random, but very frequent.

Thanks so much,
Angela
-Angela

txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by txbonfire »

plugs....I just found your post about the presets...
plugsnpixels wrote:I think I may have solved the mystery!

I went trolling around in the PGE subfolders, and noticed that under Plug-Ins>Adobe Photoshop Only>PGE>Dreamsuite>Effect Presets, every preset folder was empty EXCEPT Layers!

So I went back to the PGE interface, and instead of accessing the presets from the PhotoGraphic menu at upper left, I tried the Layer Presets menu up top. Every effect was accessible and applicable from the dialog.

Next I got brave and manually copied the various contents of the Layers folder into the appropriate empty neighboring folders, according to name. I kept the original items in the Layers folder as is.

The result is, I now have complete sets of presets no matter how I access them!

So we may have discovered a problem with the PGE installer not populating the presets folders as expected. Let me know if this "hack" works for you!

I should add that these effects are quite nice and still relevant, despite being several years old.
Do you recommend doing this? Do you think it would help with the crashes?
Thanks,
Angela
-Angela

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Thanks for finding that post for me! I recalled making it but hadn't sought it out yet.

After making an "as is" backup copy, I just did some cleanup in my own PGE>Dreamsuite>Effects Presets folder (where there was much duplication of files).

I found my earlier advice to still be true: In Photographic Edges, avoid the presets on the left of the interface and use the Layer Presets button at the top of the interface. At the moment I am using the plug-ins under Photoshop CS4 on a PPC Mac, OS-X 10.5.5, 1.5 gigs RAM.

Dreamsuite does not give you the secondary option but presets seem to be stable.

I also fired up Mystical Tint Tone & Color. Combining several effects from each of these plug-ins allows you to create some quite contemporary results, even though the original plug-ins are "ancient".

See a quick example I just created while testing here.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com