Windows 7 64 bit and voyage to oblivion !

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Windows 7 64 bit and voyage to oblivion !

Post by Don »

:(
I recently purchased (months ago) an hp computer from a major retailer of office products. The printer, flat bed scanner and film scanner purchased for this computer did not have and will not have required drivers.

I waited 6 months and then purchased the newest printer and flat bed scanner that I could find. In the last few weeks ( after more months) they have produced Windows 7 64 Bit drivers. I'll have to purchase another film scanner at a future date.

Because I could not print or scan with my computer I did nothing except down loads from the Internet and only tried to do any thing with it when the drivers finally became available.

This computer advertised 1 year warranty. When I tried to obtain said warranty they said the warranty was in the name of the major retailer, from whom I purchased it The warranty started when they purchased it (appears to be the same as the manufacturing date) ! This of course curtailed my ability to get warranty service.

They then charged me money to come to my home to repair it. This was to fix the constant BSOD's and mini dumps that did not work. The result was the computer was then no longer able to do any thing.

After they replaced my mother board I could not read any of the DVDs or hard drives that had been formated with the old mother board.

The lady with an Indian (As in India) accent said I had to purchase a new Windows 7 54 bit package as software was not warrantied.

Now I do not have the down loads for plug-ins and other drivers that I had backed up to DVD and Hard drives.

Thus Oblivion as there is nothing there !

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sorry to hear about your problems, Don.

The format of DVDs and hard drive has nothing to do with a mainboard. It is more a question of software and the OS. So you should still be able to access them.

Even if a manufacturer does not produce drivers for a device, Windows itself may povide drivers for some of them. In some cases there are third party companies that provide them. For example there is Vue Scan which supports many old scanners even on newer OSes.

Anyway, I would not purchase a new computer with the mentioned company. Their service seems to be horrible.

Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

That is what I thought ?

Post by Don »

After the new board install, windows recovery said there was no formating on the hard drives. The DVDs could not be read on other computers nor the computer with the new board.

I always assumed that the secondary hard drive, not having the operating system would be addressable in another computer. It appears that the logical headers or the encoding was messed up.

Microsoft helped me and they could not find out why either. They really followed up and kept in contact with me. It appears Microsoft really wants Windows 7 to work good.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If the hard drives and DVDs were messed up when they were written, that is a another story. Then you will have a hard time recovering the data if possible at all.

Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Don »

:(
Well this is a follow up ! I sent it into the factory for more repairs. I got the computer back from hp and they said they could not confirm my problems but they did find that the hard drive did not have any data on it. They therefore put in a new hard drive and installed original factory software.

The tech support at the local Staples had confirmed the problems before I sent the computer in for more repairs.

:evil:
It came back with my software that I had installed still on it (remember they said that there was nothing on the old drive). A back plate with input connectors was loose and inside and blocking the main fan causing a boot failure. In addition there was heat shrink loose inside. That was easly fixed but the next problem is not.

The ATI Radeon HD4650 over drove my WACOM Cintiq and burned up the inputs. Of course it was out of warranty and not repairable and now I can not afford to replace it!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Oh, boy! Bad luck seems to stick to your heels. Sorry to hear that.