RE: Moving from 32 bit XP Pro to 64 bit computer

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

RE: Moving from 32 bit XP Pro to 64 bit computer

Post by Don »

I have PhotoShop 7 but find limited memory issues.
However I'm not sure how to proceed in moving up to a 64 bit computer and the newer OS and upgrade to PhotoShop CS.

I have heard horror stories about Vista and that CS is slower than version 7. I have also read questions about running 32 bit plug-ins on a 64 bit OS.

Can any one provide me some guidance in where to start, and would I have to replace all of my plug-ins ?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Photoshop 7 may be a bit faster than CS, but I still consider CS rather fast. Photoshop CS2 on the other hand was probably the slowest Photoshop in history. CS3 got as fast as 7 again and CS4 is even faster if you have enough RAM and one of the latest processors and video cards.

I do not see that many problems using 32bit plugins under a 64bit OS. But of course there may be the one or other plugin that causes problems. So better make sure that there are newer updates of your favorite plugins available, which may cost you some money. Many old freeware plugins can be made working under Vista with a few tricks.

If you want to upgrade from Photoshop 7, better make the step to Photoshop CS3, as the price should be the same as upgrading to CS. With Photoshop CS5 available you will not be able to upgrade from CS anymore, but you will be able to upgrade from CS3. So it is wiser to upgrade from 7 to CS3.

Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Thanks-Vista tricks, are they listed on the Plugin Site

Post by Don »

Thanks for the information !

Getting plug-ins to work in Vista:

(1). Which term or phrase would I search for to find these tricks ?
(2). Would they possibly work for other plug-ins ?

I will try to find a 64 bit computer that I can afford and start moving up to the newer versions.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Search this forum for "Vista plugin dll" and you will find them. These tricks only work for Filter Factory and FilterMeister generated plugins. For other plugins, you need to see if the manufacturer provided updates.

Don
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Thanks, I will now stop watching this post !

Post by Don »

Your Help is as always much appreciated !