Small Fixes to ContrastMaster for Mac

ContrastMaster specific discussions
HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Small Fixes to ContrastMaster for Mac

Post by HaraldHeim »

We just updated the Mac version with a few fixes:

- The CS2 PowerPC and CS3 Intel installers now install into Photoshop CS4 by default. If you do not want, that please select your plugin folder manually during installation.
- There is no dialog size limit anymore for the full version. The demo version now has a dialog size limit of 1024x768 pixel.
- The installer now asks for the admin password in case you are not already logged in as administrator. This avoids that the installer fails if you are not logged in as administrator.

You can download the fixed version by using the same download URL again. You can simply install it over the old version.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

CM for Mac Installation Problem

Post by creativedialog »

I just purchased, downloaded and tried to install CM on my Intel Mac Pro and it does not show up under Filter/Photo Wiz. I am using Photoshop CS3.
A few weeks ago I installed BWStyler and it installed correctly.
I compared the installed files between BWStyler and CM, and discovered the following:
BWStyler has 7 files including:
BWdialog.ini
BWPicts.rsrc
BWStyler.ini
BWStyler.plugin
ManualBW
ManualBW.htm
and Presets

CM only has 5 files including:
ContrastMaster.plugin
logfiles
ManualCM
ManualCM.htm
Presets

Could the missing .ini and .rsrc files be the problem.

Please let me know what to do. Thanks.
Mike Bergen
mike@creativedialog.com
The Intersection of Classic and Digital Photography-
http://www.creativedialog.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The installer now install into Photoshop CS4 by default. If you want to use it with Photoshop CS3, please select the CS3 plugin folder manually during installation.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Problem with installation on Mac

Post by creativedialog »

Harald-
I did specify the CS3 plug-in folder and the files I listed are the only ones that it loaded in the CS3 folder.
It just doesn't work. Are these the correct files?
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If you installed the Intel version and Photoshop CS3 is not showing them, it can only mean that you are running Photoshop CS3 in Rosetta mode. If you want to use Photoshop CS3 in Rosetta as well as normal mode, you can additionally install the CS2 PowerPC version. Or you click on the Photoshop CS3 icon, choose File > Get Info and deactivate the Rosetta check box.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

ContrastMaster on Mac

Post by creativedialog »

Harald-
Now I am really confused. There is no mention of Rosetta Mode in any of the Photoshop CS3 documentation. Why does BWStyler work just fine. And I still don't understand why there are no .ini files in the installation. I do not want to also buy CS2 when I just bought CS3. I think there is a problem in the installation software and I suspect others will have the same problem.
Please look into this matter for me.
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Rosetta is a part of OS X and is not a part of Photoshop. It lets you run PowerPC applications on an Intel-Mac. If you have the Rosetta check box activated for Photoshop, you are actually running the PowerPC version of Photoshop and it will not recognize Intel plugins.

There are no .ini files there, because they are created by ContrastMaster itself. So if you did not run ContrastMaster yet, there should also be no .ini files there.

You do not need to buy CS2 or whatever. You can run the CS2 PowerPC version directly in Photoshop CS3 with the help of Rosetta, but of course you do not need to do that if you do not have other PowerPC-only plugins.

Again: If you installed the Intel version of ContrastMaster, if you are running an Intel-Mac, if you installed ContrastMaster into the Plug-Ins sub folder of your Photoshop CS3 folder and if the ContrastMaster files you mentioned are really located there, then ContrastMaster should appear in Photoshop. If that is not the case, something is wrong. I am just trying to find out what.

So far we solved all problems that other people have had with ContrastMaster for Mac, but of course I need your cooperation.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Mac version issue

Post by creativedialog »

I did exactly what you said. I installed the Intel version of ContrastMaster, I am running an Intel-Mac, I installed ContrastMaster into the Plug-Ins sub folder of the Photoshop CS3 folder, and the ContrastMaster files I mentioned are located there. So ContrastMaster should appear in Photoshop, but it doesn't.
So I think we are now clear on the issue and I appreciate your help.
Just one comment. When I installed BWStyle it showed up under filters inside a folder called "Photo Wiz". Should this also happen for Contrast Master? Also, the install program initially created a Photoshop CS4 folder on my hard drive. I later deleted it because I don't use CS4.
Let me know if you need more infromation.
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Mac version issue

Post by HaraldHeim »

I did exactly what you said. I installed the Intel version of ContrastMaster, I am running an Intel-Mac, I installed ContrastMaster into the Plug-Ins sub folder of the Photoshop CS3 folder, and the ContrastMaster files I mentioned are located there. So Contrastaster should appear in Photoshop, but it doesn't.
Then the only other possible obstacle would be an activated Rosetta check box. Or you simply overlooked it on the menu. You would not be the first person to do that :-)
When I installed BWStyle it showed up under filters inside a folder called "Photo Wiz". Should this also happen for Contrast Master?

Yes.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Mac Version Issue

Post by creativedialog »

I have yet to find a Rosetta check box in the Finder or in the operating system. Would I be able to run BWStyler if I had Rosetta activated? BWStyler works fine!
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

To see the Rosetta check box, click on the Photoshop icon and choose File > Get Info from the top menu. If Photoshop runs in Rosetta, it would only be able to use the PowerPC version of B/W Styler and not the Intel one.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by creativedialog »

So that confirms the problem since the version of BWStyler that I am running is "BWStylerCS3Intel.dmg". So "ContrastMasterCS3Intel.dmg" should work fine, however it does not.
I couldn't possibly be in Rosetta mode.
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If ContrastMaster does not appear in Photoshop, then Photoshop cannot access it. So that basically means that either Photoshop does not find it, because it is not in the Plugins sub folder, or cannot read it. You could check if the ContrastMaster plugin is read protected. You can do that by clicking on the ContrastMaster plugin and choosing File > Get Info.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

CntrastMaster Issue

Post by creativedialog »

Both ContrastMaster and BWStyler show up in the Photoshop CS3 Folder and when I press "get info" for each, they both say "You can read and write". They are both located in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Plug-Ins.
I have to conclude that there is a problem in the ContrastMaster software.
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I guess it is best if you delete the ContrastMaster files from the Plugins folder, download ContrastMaster again and install again. I hope it works.

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by creativedialog »

I just downloaded and installed it again and I get the same result. :(
If there is anything else I can do to help you troubleshoot this issue, just let me know. I am using the latest Mac Pro with dual quad processors and the latest version of the operating system.
Mike

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

ContrastMaster Issue

Post by creativedialog »

Harald-
I have yet to be able to get the CM Plug In to appear in Photoshop.
Are you working on this issue or should we wait and see if others have this problem? Either way is OK, just let me know.
Thanks,
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I had another guy who managed to make ContrastMaster appear after he removed the ContrastMaster demo version from the plugin folder. Maybe you have the demo version still installed somewhere.

So far you have been the only one that I was not able to help with such a problem...

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

CM Issue

Post by creativedialog »

I never had the demo installed so that is not the issue. I have CM installed in the same Photoshop CS3 Plug In folder as BWStyler and they both show the same file properties. However CM does not show up in Photoshop CS3. As an afterthought I tried to install CM in Illustrator CS3 and there it appears to work fine. Does this make any sense? I don't use Illustrator so I don't know if this would serve as a workaround. It certainly would not be convenient.
Mike

creativedialog
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

CM Issue

Post by creativedialog »

More Information-
When I run CM in Illustrator CS3, I get the "spinning clock" indicator instead of the rotating beach ball indicator when the machine in working. According to my Mac Expert this means that the application (e.g. Plug-In) is not written to the latest Mac specifications. The "spinning clock" is a legacy item from the early Mac days.
Maybe this helps determine the problem?
Mike