I'm confused about free plugin usage

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
dragonglow
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

I'm confused about free plugin usage

Post by dragonglow »

What I've read about the copyrights seem to be about the plugins themselves, not to be used for commercial purposes. What about the images produced. I guess that would mean they also cannot be used if you wanted to sell your artwork or would probably have to be manipulated so that they no longer look like the output of a plugin. Does anyone have any information on this issue because I'm really confused about it????

dragonglow
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

I don't really want to use the digital images themselves

Post by dragonglow »

I only want to use them as visuals for ideas for drawing hand drawn pictures with colored pencils and markers.

toby
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Re: I'm confused about free plugin usage

Post by toby »

dragonglow wrote:What I've read about the copyrights seem to be about the plugins themselves, not to be used for commercial purposes. What about the images produced. I guess that would mean they also cannot be used if you wanted to sell your artwork or would probably have to be manipulated so that they no longer look like the output of a plugin. Does anyone have any information on this issue because I'm really confused about it????
It is quite simple: Using a plugin to change/create an image intended for commercial use (such as advertising, or for sale) would not be permitted, under such a license. Nor would concealing the use of it.

However, many free plugins make no restrictions on commercial use. This would include all GPL plugins, such as those available on my site, http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw

dragonglow
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by dragonglow »

Thanks that is very helpful. :)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Basically you will have to read the license agreement of a plugin. Since freeware plugin often don't contain one or don't mention that point, you should better ask the creator of such a plugin, if it is allowed to use them for commercial purposes.

I think most plugin developers allow that, but there may be a few exceptions.

ohioclint
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by ohioclint »

I'm really confused about the copyright. If you can't use a plugin to change/create an image for commercial use, nor conceal the use of it, why would anybody ever purchase the plugin to begin with? This would especially be true of the more expensive ones like Extensis plugins and Genuine Fractals....and even those at The Plugin Site.

toby
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

it's simpler than it sounds

Post by toby »

ohioclint,
Different plugins have different licenses. The vast majority of commercial plugins would allow use for ANY purpose (including commercial), which is, as you say, the whole point of buying them.

This thread was primarily about FREE plugins. Some free plugins may not allow commercial use. This is also often true of academic licenses, etc.
The bottom line is, if in doubt, read the license.

ohioclint
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by ohioclint »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was relieved to hear you say that.