Masking based on luminance

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
Xenotime
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Masking based on luminance

Post by Xenotime »

Dear HaraldHeim,
I would like to request a more advanced selection for luminosity masks. This would greatly enhance your plugin.So far it is possible to create one light, midtones and dark mask based on luminace using the color selection.
Would it be possible to add 3 or 4 of each selections each half in luminosity (i.e. Bright Light, Brightest Lights, etc...), sth like the luminosity masking action of Tony Kyuper? This would greatly enhance this already very useful plugin?
Atm i am trying to use the following workaround. I create a layer and desaturate the colors ( sometimes the desaturated layer just dissapears) and then i select the tonal range and play with the tolerance to select the luminance that i would like to have, though this is working a bit clunky. Then i tried to save the selection. Here i encounter an issue, I cannot apply the saved selection to the mask of an adjustment layer or any other mask.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Masking based on luminance

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your suggestions! The selection features will certainly be enhanced in future updates of ElementsXXL.

Adding a selection to an existing layer mask works this way:
1. Make sure the layer mask is selected in the Layers Panel.
2. Press D to reset the fore and background colors to white and black.
3. Press the Del key to subtract the current selection from the layer mask or press Alt + Del to add the selection to the layer mask.

It is planned to enhance the Load/Save Selection functionality to also allow adding a selection to a layer mask.

Xenotime
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Xenotime »

Hi is there any news on an advanced luminance tool ? Working with a gradient on the mask is a solution but not very elegant.
I have also encountered another issue: When making a selection in an image- by any kind of mask- and then subsequently coyping this selected part of the image in another (16-bit) image, i will loose the 16 bit information on this copy.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It will still take some time for more advanced luminance stuff in ElementsXXL. It will probably not happen before ElementsXXL 3 is released. Alternatively you can use actions or scripts from the web for more advanced luminosity masks.

You are right about copying a selected image area from one 16-bit image to another. Photoshop Elements asks you to reduce the target Image to 8-bit. The problem is that 16-bit Images do not support layers.

There is one workaround tough:
1. Create the selection in the first 16-bit Image and copy it to the clipboard.
2. Switch to the second 16-bit Image.
3. Choose Select > Select All from the menu.
4. Use Edit > Paste Into Selection.

I will see if something that does the same can be added as a seperate feature in ElementsXXL.