Luminosity Masking

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Luminosity Masking

Post by Nikon_bob »

I have downloaded the trial version. I wanted a app that would allow me to create luminosity in my photos using actions created for Photoshop. As I read how to create luminosity, it is done by masking and color channels. Most of the actions are available for a fee. If this can be done by using ElementsXXL I will buy it ASAP. Also I'm not sure where in the manual that discusses these issues.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: How do you like ElementsXXL?

Post by HaraldHeim »

ElementsXXL offers a channel feature, more masking stuff and lets you run actions. If you give me more details about what features you exactly need or what exactly you are trying to do, I can answer in more detail. There are various ways to create a new layer with luminosity image data.

Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Nikon_bob »

This is one of the workflow options I need to be able to do. Look at tutorial 4 to see where I'm going. I want channels mask, but curves seems to fit as a starting point working with your app. As a side note I use Topaz Labs apps for all of my work, and shoot using Magic Lantern that gives my Canon the ability shoot up to nine HDR frames.

http://www.schoolofhdr.com/2013/03/marc ... al-part-1/

Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Nikon_bob »

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

For these two tutorial it seems you need the following functionality:

1. Curve filter or Curve adjustment layer: This is already available in ElementsXXL.
2. Creating a RGB/luminosity selection: I will add this for you in ElementsXXL 1.01 on the Select > Selection From menu.
3. Intersecting an existing selection with itself (to create dark or lighter luminosity masks): I will also add this in ElementsXXL 1.01, probably also on the Select > Selection From menu.

If I should have missed a function, let me know. ElementsXXL 1.01 will be released this week.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I just added the Select > Selection From > Luminosity menu item to ElementsXXL 1.01, which will be released in a few days.

Actually the intersecting already works in Photoshop Elements itself by doing the following steps:

1. Create the luminosity selection (e.g. Select > Selection From > Luminosity in ElementsXXL 1.01).
2. Go to Select > Save Selection and save it.
3. Go to Select > Load Section, choose the previously saved selection, activate "Intersect with Selection" and press OK.

Repeat step 3 for further intersections, which narrows the selected areas and produces more extreme luminosity masks.

In any case I am quite sure that the Tony Kuyper actions from the one tutorial can be used with ElementsXXL. I did not test them though. You can do that yourself with the trial version of ElementsXXL. Just let me know if there is a problem.

Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Nikon_bob »

Thanks for all the information. I actually tried to buy the app, once last night and again today. The Visa card keeps getting refused. I don't use the other options, so I'll call your Customer Service on Monday to find out the problem. Final question, after the app is paid for, will there be instructions on activation and upgrades? Look forward to getting into the app.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If you tried to pay via Paypal, try Elements5 or vice versa. There is no activation required. Updates are sent via email to customers.

Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Re: Luminosity Masking

Post by Nikon_bob »

Great, as I said I'll try to buy again Monday. I will work with the trial version today.

Nikon_bob
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Nikon_bob »

I'm going to try to buy the app again, but I was wondering when the new update will be realeased? I tried the below tutorial, but was unable to make it work. The masking options are not there.

http://www.hdrone.com/2013/04/an-introd ... -blending/

Thanks

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

ElementsXXL 1.01 is out now. Look on the Select > Selection From sub menu for creating a selection from the RGB/luminosity or one of the red, green and blue channels.

If you want to convert a channel selection into a layer mask do the following:

1. Duplicate the layer.
2. Choose an item from the Select > Selection From
3. Create a layer mask.
4. Now the selection is vanished, but it is now used as a layer mask. You can adjust the duplicated layer with the Curves tool now.

An often better alternative is to use the selection as a layer mask with a curve adjustment layer. To do that:

1. Choose an item from the Select > Selection From
2. Create a Curves adjustment layer from Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves.
Now the selection is vanished, but it is now used as a layer mask.

You can create multiple duplicated layers or adjustment layers with different masks to adjust different image areas.

To take it even further: You can also adjust the layer mask by selecting it in the Layers panel and applying filters to it or using the brush tool on it.