Sharpening on a gradient

FocalBlade specific discussions
Plant Scientist
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Sharpening on a gradient

Post by Plant Scientist »

I recently shot some important pictures with a lens that I did not realized was defective: from left to right, every shot is gradually more out of focus. FocalBlade has been able to retrieve detail in the out-of-focus area that absolutely no other plug-in or application could retrieve. Now: using Photoshop Elements 4, what are suggestions on applying the sharpening gradually more intensely from left to right?

Thank you, and I am looking forward to your suggestions

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Basically I would dublicate the image as a new layer and add a layer mask to it. On the layer mask I would draw a gadient with the gradient tool. After that apply FocalBlade to that layer.

I'm not sure if PSE 4 supports layer masks and offers a gradient tool. If not, there should be some means to create a selection that is gradually faded from left to right.

A future version of FocalBlade will probably include features for more selective and gradual sharpening, so you will be able to do it directly in FocalBlade.

Plant Scientist
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Plant Scientist »

Thank you.

PSE4 does not support explicitly support layer masks, but work arounds have been publihed, including in Adobe's own PSE4 tutorials.