Auto FX Photographic Edges 6.06 Crashing

Comments and discussions about other graphics tools
txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

PGE 6.0 crashing

Postby txbonfire » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased the Auto FX PGE 6.0 and have been using it. I am seeing the problems described by jerimg. Basically, after editing about every 5th pic, the program crashes with the same error message that jerimg documented. I did a search and came across this thread.

Does anyone have any advice as to how this problem can be corrected? If there is anything I should be looking for?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and still have the same issues. I've opened a case with Auto FX and have not heard back from them.

I am using this as a stand-alone app, even though I use Adove Photoshop CS2 on a regular basis. I thought it would be safer to run the PGE 6.0 as a stand-alone app. I am running Windows XP with 2G of RAM.

Thanks for any advice,
Angela
-Angela

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby plugsnpixels » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Angela,

Assuming you needed it with such a recent purchase, did you download the patch (when installed it is called PGE.plugin, dated 9/7/07) offered a little over a year ago? Last I checked, this and other patches helped Auto FX plug-ins run better as plug-ins. I had been using them as standalones because of the unusually high RAM requirements.

Presets can often be troublesome. If the preset files are not installed where the plug-in expects them, it will crash. Try avoiding presets while editing and see if it helps.

The whole Auto FX product line is in need of further updates, I would think.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Postby txbonfire » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 pm

I just purchased the PGE6.0 last week. I have not installed a patch. I should have the latest s/w, correct?

Concerning presets, what should I be looking for?

My main workflow right now is to apply an edge to a photo, tweak it a little, then save that as a Layer Preest. I then load that layer preset on subsequent photos I need to edit. The program crashes when I apply my created preset or when I apply an effect such as an edge or tab, etc....

There is no consistent action that I perform when the program crashes. It is very random, but very frequent.

Thanks so much,
Angela
-Angela

txbonfire
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Postby txbonfire » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:03 pm

-Angela

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby plugsnpixels » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks for finding that post for me! I recalled making it but hadn't sought it out yet.

After making an "as is" backup copy, I just did some cleanup in my own PGE>Dreamsuite>Effects Presets folder (where there was much duplication of files).

I found my earlier advice to still be true: In Photographic Edges, avoid the presets on the left of the interface and use the Layer Presets button at the top of the interface. At the moment I am using the plug-ins under Photoshop CS4 on a PPC Mac, OS-X 10.5.5, 1.5 gigs RAM.

Dreamsuite does not give you the secondary option but presets seem to be stable.

I also fired up Mystical Tint Tone & Color. Combining several effects from each of these plug-ins allows you to create some quite contemporary results, even though the original plug-ins are "ancient".

See a quick example I just created while testing .
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)

www.plugsandpixels.com

tessalex
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Re: Auto FX Photographic Edges 6.06 Crashing

Postby tessalex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm

WoW! Good to know, because it's 2017 and the trial is crashing. Glad I haven't purchased the software, cause I thought that was the issue.

Return to “Other Graphics Tools”