Corel PSP X2

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
eritott
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Corel PSP X2

Post by eritott »

Hi folks, Anybody who knows an answer to this? I just recently bought a special offer PSP X2 from Corel, including some other programs such as Painter Photo Essentials 4. I also have the Corel Painter X on my computer - and here the problem starts.
Background: I do have Win. XP Pro with SP3, I also have the Norton 360.2
The PSP X2 works fine, but when installing some older plugins I need to restart my com after every installation. Not that much work but frustrating. Then I try to open Painter Photo Essentials 4 - and the program (the whole computer) freezes at Essential 4 wellcome screen. After that the PSP X2 doesn't open, untill restart of comp.
The Painter X opens nicely, but when going back to PSP X2, it doesn't open, only after a restart.
I have contacted Corel support (telephone service VERY crowded - no wonder) and they blame Norton for it.
I did contact Norton support, and as usuall they were very helpfull, I even got a technician "crawling" into my computer checking up everything, and no problem was found on their side.
Corel says that, the 360.2 looks att their new programs as malware. The technican replied to that, that if so were the case, I should get up a warning screen, which I dont get. We checked that together.
So Corel blames that on Norton, and Norton cannot find any problem there - and the customer is suffering.
To me it seems like a Corel problem, when PSP X2 is working (almost) fine alone, but it doesn't like the 2 other Corel programs.
My com has enough capacity: HDD - 1.2 TB on 3 disks, RAM - 2 GB on 2 combs, Processor - Intel duo core 2.4 GHz
Anyone who knows something more about this?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Frist of all, do you really need Painter Essentials 4 if you already have Painter X? Painter X has more features than Essentials, right? So I would remove Painter Essentials software if I were you.

I have never been a friend of the Norton internet security stuff. I made a few bad experiences with it. So my suggestion is to deactivate it (or even uninstall it) and see if the problems vanish. But make sure that there is no internet connection if your computer is unprotected without the Norton stuff.

If that does not help, you should try reinstalling Painter X. Maybe the PSP X2 installation messed up something.

I hope I could help.

eritott
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Corel PSP X2

Post by eritott »

When I had the Norton technician into my computer, operating from distance, we did disconnect Norton completely, but it did not help.
Yes the fact is that I don't need the Painter essentials, but as it came bundeled - and of course calculated into the price - I think that it should work also. Now it is uninstalled from my com.
But as said, when using the Painter X, I have to restart my com. before I can work with the PSP X2. So something there is interfering with the 2 programs.
Thank you Harald.