photo edge frame(?) effects(?)

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
Carolin
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

photo edge frame(?) effects(?)

Post by Carolin »

I'm confused about how to use photo edges that I have downloaded, in .jpeg format. I want to use them as "frames" for my images. Probably, the proverbial snake, right in front of my nose, but can't find a tutorial. please help

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

On the Harry's Edges Download page you can find a link to the tutorials. Here's the link again:

http://thepluginsite.com/knowhow/index.htm

If you should have downloaded the Edge & Frame Galaxy Demo, please double click Readme.htm to get the instructions.

Carolin
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

tutorial

Post by Carolin »

thank you... never would have figured that one out by trial and error

Post by Guest »

My question is simple... I have looked everywhere to no avail.

It would seem I can only get these edges to be "true" edges if the file is saved as .psp...

I want to save it as a jpeg so I can send it to people. These other people don't have paint shop like I do, nor will the image even show up on a web page for that matter.

Best I can get is if I save it as psp (which, again, isn't viewable by many). I want a true edge but in .jpeg ... is that possible??

Post by Guest »

perhaps that wasn't explanatory enough...

I want to use one of these awesome edges and put it on a picture so it has that really cool cut-out effect. But I want to be able to do this and save it in .jpeg
Right now, once I try to save it in jpeg it merges and the result is a colored edge (black/white), not a cut-out effect. I can achieve the cut-out effect by (and the tutorials don't tell me this.. I had to discover this on my own) saving it in the .psp (paintshop) format, but then it can only be viewed by others that have PSP and not on a webpage.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I'm not sure if I understand you. I assume that you have the edge effect and the image on different layers. When saving as JPG the layers will be merged, but the image should look the same. So I don't quite understand the problem.

Can you upload example images somewhere to explain the problem?

Post by Guest »

Sorry :)

What I mean is... when I take a normal picture... rectangular or square in shape... and I want to put one of those awesome edges on it, for example the leaves edge so instead of a straight edge all around the picture it has one of these spectacular edges around it.

Well instead of the awesome edge it is still a straight edge, but it has the leaves border in white or black. Like a picture frame, not an edge.

I did, however, figure out how to make the true edge I want, but it only works if I save it as a .psp file (I'm using paint shop pro). Soon as I try to save it as a .jpeg or .bmp it becomes a frame and loses it's edge... pun intended. The design is still there, but it displays as black or white (depending on how I made it) leaves border.

I want to make a picture like the examples shown on the websight where the picture has the neat edge. A true edge and NOT just a frame. But I want to be able to save the final product as a .jpeg with a cut-out look to it, not just a colored border or frame look.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You probably mean that the transparency information gets lost when you save your frame as a JPG file. That's because JPG files can't store transparency data, but file types like PSP, TIF or PNG can.

Post by Guest »

But the examples on the websight are in jpeg format... and I have seen many other people do similar things with pictures... cut-out edges... and it is jepg format :(

Oh well, I know there is a way, I will just have to keep digging, thanks for responding. :)

Post by Guest »

For example this one: Image

Post by Guest »

Hehe, no edit button :(...

After I posted that image I noticed it has the white border... like the problem I am having... not a big deal.

The edges are really nice, though :)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Do you men that you want the outer border to be transparent, so that it takes the background color of the web site that it is placed on?

In such a case you need to save it as a GIF or PNG file. JPG files don't include transparency information.

Post by Guest »

Wow! HeralHeim, thanks for spending all this time helping me!

That is exactly what I am trying to do, however I must be following the directions wrong or there are more instructins I missed somewhere...

It says to combine the two files (picture and frame) by selecting new mask from image then merging the two. Even in the instructins it says the resulting product will have white or black edge depending on the method used.

I tryed saving as .gif, but to no avail, the end result still has the frame a solid white (or I found a way to change the color).

If you can give me a hint where I might find the information on how to accomplish this I would be forever in your debt! I have been pondering this dilemna for many many months now and I don't know anyone that knows paint programs better than me.

But that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish; that the border/edge/frame is transparent so it takes on the background color of the page it is placed on.

Thanks in advance, HeraldHeim!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

When saving the image as a GIF, you have to select a color that will be made transparent. If the software you are using to save the GIF, doesn't have such a feature you have to use another software. For example Paint ShopPro lets you do that.

Post by Guest »

That is wonderful, thank you for your help. I am a happy-camper.

Only thing I find odd about PSP is after I set the transparency the picture quality drops. It gets fuzzy and less defined. The strange part is I can't fix that. All effects are grayed out now :(

But that's not a big deal because it's a pretty small pic anyway and I got the edge I wanted.

Thank you Herald!!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

That's a problem with the GIF format. It only lets you select a color that is made transparent which can cause fuzzy edges. The ideal solution would be if the GIF format supported a transparency mask.

I think the PNG format supports such transparency masks. So you should investigate if saving to PNG is an option for you.