Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
JJBOWKS
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME TO FIX PAINT SHOP PRO NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10 CREATORS EDITION

Postby JJBOWKS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm

This is the only thing that worked for me in getting Paint Shop Pro 4.12 to work on Windows 10 Creators Edition.
1. Clicked Windows key +R.
2. Typed in regedit, and opened it.
3. In RegEdit.exe I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JASC.
a. Navigate to it by clicking the ">" before "HKEY_CURRENT_USER."
b. Then under that, the ">" before "Software."
c. Then the ">" before "JASC."
4. All those entries have to go.
5. So double click on "JASC."
6. Go to the "Edit" menu item on top.
7. Select "Delete"
8. In the "Confirm Key Delete" message that says "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this key and all of its subkeys?" click on the "Yes" button.
9. Close RegEdit and reboot your machine.
Now open your Paint Shop Pro and voilà it works!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Postby HaraldHeim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:06 am

Best only delete the Paint Shop Pro 4 item under JASC, otherwise it may messup up other PSP versions.

mr.stem
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Re: Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Postby mr.stem » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

This thread and Karl's post in particular have finally enabled me to resuscitate PSP9 on my Surface Pro 3 after what I can see now is almost a year off since the display driver update in Jan 2017. In case this helps anyone else in the same situation, Microsoft no longer offers any driver other than the latest one, so I had to do this the hard way via the Intel support site. The version I found that worked for me is 10.18.15.4256 from 17 July 2015, though confusingly the package this comes in is called win64_154004.2. Make sure the one you download is compatible with your hardware!

You have to go to the properties for the display adaptor and then go Update Driver and then select the option to browse locally and then Have Disk, and make sure you go into the Graphics folder of the downloaded package. If the installation doesn't then offer you the specific hardware that you have (Intel HD Graphics 5000 in my case), then don't proceed (like I did, to my cost!); you have probably downloaded the wrong version. I read that Windows would quickly re-install the recommended driver next time you reboot, but you can inhibit this behaviour by turning off automatic updates for device drivers on the icon for your computer under Devices and Printers. I don't have time to write out all the steps precisely, but I hope these pointers are helpful.

Note: simply disabling the display driver (and reverting to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) was also enough to make PSP9 work, but that wouldn't even support my secondary monitor!

KarlWagner wrote:Definitely the graphics driver!
I also could not get PSP9 to run after the Windows 10 Creators Update. I read that the graphics driver may be the problem.
To test this, I first simply deactivated the Intel graphics driver via the Device Manager. PSP9 ran as it should! ...

Return to “Paint Shop Pro”