Exposure stops readout for film stills

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
Filmix
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Filmix »

Hi,
I wanted to know if there was a plugin or script for PS7 on MAC OSX that would change the K information in the palette info window from a % to an F stop reading. If 50% K was the correct F stop, then 60% k was 1 stop under or -1, 70% -2, 80% -3, 90% -4, 100% -5 and conversely 40% +1, 30% +2, 20% +3, 10% +4, 0% +5 stops over.
It would also be nice to be able to read half stops as well.
Thanks heaps.
Glenn.

[/b]

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't think that it is possible to change the information that is displayed on the Info palette. As far as I know your conversion from K to F stop isn't quite correct. I think it should be like this:

14% -> -3
20% -> -2
33 % -> -1
50% -> 0
67% -> +1
80% -> +2
86% -> +3

Filmix
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Filmix »

Thanks Harald,
FYI im using Ansell Adams 11 step zone system, and thought that 1 stop was double % but obviously its not linear. Can I ask what formula you used for your calculations, so I can work out the rest? The % you have used I think is in the wrong order.
Thanks Heaps. 67% for example should be -1 stop, as were measuring black not white.

Glenn.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sorry, I don't have any special formula. I just have some values that I converted to % for you. My % values assume that 0% is total black and 100% is total white. If you need it reversed, you just have to subtract the values from 100%.