Advanced Selections (with the wand tool?) in Photoshop

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
Mike-Animation-Student

Post by Mike-Animation-Student »

I am painting lineart backgrounds which involve filling areas with flat colour. The problem I am having is that it takes a lot of time to multi-select areas with the wand (holding shift). The digital ink and paint program I use for painting character levels is called Toonz by Softimage. Toonz allows you to drag the cursor over an area and it will select whatever you pass over, without the multiple clicks. However Toonz is not quite as nice as Photoshop when it comes to Background painting. Is there a plugin or technique I can use in photoshop that will do the same thing?

I would be forever in your debt!!!

-Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't know Toonz, but I can imagine that it is vector based. That means that it knows the coordinates of your brush strokes (because it recorded them when you did them) and therefor can select everything without a problem. Photoshop on the other hand has a bitmap/rasterized version of the image, so it doesn't know where you painted something and therefor can't select as easily.

Just Someone

Post by Just Someone »

There are many selection tools in Photoshop, you just choosed the most troublefull one :P I usually combine them -- first applay the Magic wand, then Lasso Tool to come over all this little spots and uninclude the unwanted ones. If you have a stardy hand (of course you have, you've got experiense) than maybe choosing the Pen Tool will be the best for you. Just make your Path with the Pen Tool, then go to Layers Palette, click on Paths, right click on your Path image in the opened list and choose Make Selection from a Path. Good Luck!

Post by Guest »

Whats the name of the tool that automatically traces edges???

TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by TARL_FURY »

One of my favorite techniques to avoid all of the hassle of backgrounds/selections is to save an image with a transparent-background in PNG format.

This way, I don't need to worry about selecting anything...I can just c&p the image onto any background I need to, into a new layer for adjustment/editing purposes.

It involves at least one extra image per project, but has saved me hours of time and a great deal of fuss & bother over the past two years.
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Hi,
In my experiemce, you could do much better that selecting the Magic Wand Tool. When you use this tool, it judges pixil color and tries to select these colors. This can leave you with a selection that has alot of artifics. A better idea would be to try this.. With your photo open in Photoshop, grab the Lasso tool, draw a loose selection around your subject and then switch to Quick Mask mode (lower left on the tool bar) mask what you want ,(please remember that black paints the mask on on/ white removes) then switch back to where you were.
Toggle back and forth to see what you have selected.
Once you have seen what you have done and are satisified..do this...
(PC) Ctr + J , this puts your selection on a new layer..Then you can adjust anything you want to on this layer.
Try it, it just might work!
Photofix :lol: