Erasing with the History tool

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
Lesam
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Erasing with the History tool

Post by Lesam »

G'day, I am a complete novice ( senior ) learning photoshop courtesy of the generous folk who post tutorials on the web and contribute to forums such as this.
I recall seeing a tip using History tool to erase part of an image to reveal an underlying image.
I have opened two images, same size, on the one canvas creating a background and layer 1.
When I erase using, the History tool, I get a white patch not the unjderlying background image.
I would appreciate any directions to achieve the correct result.

Post by Guest »

Hi
I tried what you were doing and didn't have much luck with it. However, I think that the effect you want can be done perhaps easier by using the regular erase tool. Set it as a very soft fuzzy brush and make sure that the image you want to erase is the top layer. You might even want to duplicate the top layer (Ctrl-J ) and then turn that layer off. That way you can toggel between the two and see how the effect is going.
Hope this helps ya
Photofix

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
I tried what you were doing and didn't have much luck with it. However, I think that the effect you want can be done perhaps easier by using the regular erase tool. Set it as a very soft fuzzy brush and make sure that the image you want to erase is the top layer. You might even want to duplicate the top layer (Ctrl-J ) and then turn that layer off. That way you can toggel between the two and see how the effect is going.
Hope this helps ya
Photofix

Lesam
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by Lesam »

Thanks for that quick response.
I realise now that I need to make a duplicate copy of background before bringing in the second image.
Works a treat, but I now have two ( at least ) ways to get the result.

Post by Guest »

Hey,
Glad to have helped you.
Photofix