How to open JPG's without locked layers?

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
DKDiveDude
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

How to open JPG's without locked layers?

Post by DKDiveDude »

I am kind of a PhotoShop 7.0 newbie, so please forgive me if this question is simple for experienced users.

It really irritates me that when I open a JPG image, it is always "partially locked".

Especially when I need to crop to a certain size, which I do by setting canvas size, and then move the image so the area I want to keep stays in the center. If I forget to lock, setting canvas size actually crops the image first.

How can I by default open JPG's so there are no locked layers/layers are unlocked?

Alternatively how can I crop an image to a certain pixel size, the easiest? In Fireworks it was so convenient, that I could see the pixel size, and even enter the desired pixel size when cropping.

Finally is there anyway I can get rid of the annoying message, that some clipping will occur when I resize the canvas? I know that, and I don't need to be reminded every freaking time!

Thanks

TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by TARL_FURY »

How can I by default open JPG's so there are no locked layers/layers are unlocked?
I believe you are out of luck, because the JPG compression format doesn't even support layers.

Any JPG's "layers" would be "locked" by definition, since there is only ONE layer to begin with.

I would recommend saving your layered-images in PSD or TIF format so that you can work with your layers at a later date if you want to.
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."